Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Labyrinthitis

(36 Posts)
JaneJeffer Thu 24-Mar-16 22:50:32

How long does it take to get better? GP put me on Serc tablets which I've been taking for a week but they're not doing anything for me. Can't get back to doctors until next week.

Coldtoeswarmheart Thu 24-Mar-16 22:52:34

When I had it the acute vertigo phase was about 24 hours, then a gradual recovery over the next three months (driving after about 2 weeks).

Krustyandthekids Thu 24-Mar-16 22:52:53

Didn't want to read and run as have suffered many time with this and BPV - look up the Epley manoeuvre, it's really helped me.

Hope you feel better soon thanks

Littlefish Thu 24-Mar-16 22:53:26

When I had it, I was off work for 2 weeks, but it was about a month before I felt completely better. Sorry.

maiscout Thu 24-Mar-16 22:55:55

Two weeks for the worst of it to disappear, and 6 weeks to go altogether.

It's a horrible feeling to have - I can't go on boats anymore. Hope you feel better soon!

PippaFawcett Thu 24-Mar-16 22:59:34

My DH was off work for about 6 weeks and was not himself for several months and is still prone to bouts of it - sorry! His GP did say he is the worst case of it he has seen.

JaneJeffer Thu 24-Mar-16 23:01:04

Thanks everyone. I'm just feeling sorry for myself at the moment. I feel like I'm living on a house-boat!

Kelpie78 Thu 24-Mar-16 23:02:39

I was off my work for 11 weeks, and had 9 different tablets prescribed. There really seems to be a lack of understanding. Hope you feel better much sooner than that.

Kelpie78 Thu 24-Mar-16 23:03:56

I should add, on a cheerier note, that was in 2008 and I've never had it again, touch wood. smile

iklboo Thu 24-Mar-16 23:17:12

I've had it on and off for 14 months. First bout off work 9 weeks, second one 6 weeks. Still having problems with loss of balance & dizziness.

JaneJeffer Thu 24-Mar-16 23:20:43

I hope so too! So many people have never heard of it so they don't understand how bad I feel because I look fine. This too will pass sad...

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 24-Mar-16 23:31:09

Krustey can you learn to do the Epley manoeuvre to yourself? I don't know anything about it, but nobody mentioned it when I had a horrible attack of Labrynthitis.

Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 25-Mar-16 08:08:05

Epley manoeuvre will work for BPV but not labyrinthitis.

Lucsy Fri 25-Mar-16 08:15:06

I still have problems 3 years later. Some people don't ever completely recover

Chchchchange Fri 25-Mar-16 12:25:43

Mine was acute for 24 hours, unpleasant for 2 weeks and it was about a month before I really felt back to normal. That was 2 years ago and I haven't had it since. It is absolutely horrid and you really need to rest up and take care of yourself. My anti-nausea tablets helped quite a lot (procholorazapine??)

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 17:53:23

Serc is an odd choice for labyrinthitis. It's usually used for Meniere's disease not labyrinthitis.

A short course of prochlorperazine can help you get enough balance to get off the floor but the longer you take them they can prolong the attack as your body then gets use to them being on board so it becomes difficult to stop them.

It's truly awful - flowers

2ndSopranosRule Fri 25-Mar-16 20:00:04

I've had it - yes to Stemetil (the medication mentioned above and that which I can never pronounce let alone spell!). I was off work for a total of 12 weeks and wasn't right for a good few months following. This was seven years ago. I do occasionally have balance problems and can't push my dc on roundabouts.

Sorry op. It's really rubbish.

jobrum Fri 25-Mar-16 20:06:23

I'm quite lucky that I only had it mildly a few years ago. A few days of feeling really bad - having to gold onto walls etc, then improved after a week then a few more weeks to feel completly better. Took medication (cant remember what for a few days). So there's hope you might recover relativly quickly!

RaeSkywalker Fri 25-Mar-16 20:27:37

I had it 2 years ago, was off work for a month. Fortunately haven't had it again (touch wood). Hope you feel better soon OP flowers

PickAName456 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:11:29

Feel for you flowers I had this a few years back so can sympathise, its really horrible.

I was over the worse after about two/three weeks and could drive again, but felt a bit weird for a month or so. Didn't have any medication, it just gradually got better on it's own.

JaneJeffer Fri 25-Mar-16 22:19:23

Well the Serc didn't really help, it just said on pharmacy label that they were for dizziness. There was a locum doctor and she was very abrupt so I'm hoping my usual GP will be back after Easter. Thanks all..

wiltingfast Fri 25-Mar-16 22:21:14

I've had it on and off for years sad it's nothing as acute as it was but can still put me out of action for 2 days. Valoid and a dark room lying perfectly still works for me. I carry Valoid everywhere. Pop it the minute I get that dreaded swinging sensation.

Hope you recover better than me flowers

wiltingfast Fri 25-Mar-16 22:23:21

Sea sickness tablets helped me a bit when I got caught abroad with dud tablets. You could try that until you get back to the doc.

JaneJeffer Fri 25-Mar-16 23:48:45

I have some Sturgeron but they're out of date since 2014! I might get DH to pick some up tomorrow.

HappenstanceMarmite Fri 25-Mar-16 23:53:14

The only thing I was prescribed was Metoclopramide, which was purely to control the constant vomitting. I remember I couldn't even crawl on my hands and knees without toppling over with dizziness, all the while retching. Awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now