Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bricking, advice and hand holding welcome.

(4 Posts)
Daisypod Thu 24-Mar-16 10:18:10

DH had his 40+ check up Tuesday, his blood pressure was found to be externally high. The nurse said to keep an eye on it and test at home and if it didn't come down to see the doctor. Yesterday she rang back with his cholesterol results sang they were high. In the man time he had been check his bp st home and it hasn't come down below 170/120. She said he needs to come in straight away so he had an appointment this afternoon.
I couldn't believe how high it was, I have never even heard of it going that high!
His father had his first heart attack at 45 and had gone on to have 2 quadruple by-passes since, my dad died of a heart attract at 44. I am now terrified. We know we need to make life style changes drastically now, dh is obese but that feels like it is a long term thing, what will be done in the short time?
I just can't stop shaking sad

lljkk Thu 24-Mar-16 10:35:28

Sorry you're going thru this.
It's a good thing he went to the 40+ check. smile
There are lots of things (for better or worse) that could be causing the high BP, besides heart problems. And various medications that may help a bit, but yes, long term, lifestyle changes are his best bet.
I hope the time passes quickly until all the test results are back & you can come up with a plan together.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 24-Mar-16 10:45:49

Possibly medication, advice on diet and exercise, and maybe further tests and investigations, but at least it's been picked up now

tobee Sat 26-Mar-16 23:30:05

My dh had emergency trip to a&e with 240/190 bp. As it was so high he had to stay in hospital to bring the numbers down. It did give him some long term health problems (kidneys) but his heart was barely effected and he didn't have a stroke. But that was exceptionally high and unusual. With medication they were still able to bring it down successfully and it's now normal. Blood pressure medications are very good these days and they can work out a good combination for your husband. It's really good that he had that check. I also take bp meds and suffer no side effects. What I'm trying to say is, a bit clumsily, that although it sounds scary, your husband's doctors should be able to help quite routinely. It's high bp not being discovered that is worrying. Good luck to you both,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now