Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Levothyroxine and emotional issues

(7 Posts)
averywittyusername Thu 24-Mar-16 03:58:40

I started on levothyroxine almost 3 weeks ago (hypothyroid, TSH level over 5 for the past year as I've done regular testing but GP said as it was borderline to wait and see...I've gained a stone over that time so asked for new test which came back at 8 so she immediately prescribed 50 mg(?) tablets). I know it's working as I had a private blood test done a week ago and all results right in the middle of reference ranges I was too curious to wait until the 6 week GP follow up test and I'm delighted to say that some symptoms have improved, I can feel that I have more energy, also the excruciating aching in my legs is gone, disappeared quickly after literally a year of what I thought was impending arthritis. Unfortunately no weight loss as yet despite diet and exercise but that's another story.

I had a big fight with my H (sorry not DH) 2 nights ago...I say fight but it was more a matter of him shouting at me, he was in a bad mood about something else but taking it out by shouting at me which really upset me.

Anyway the point of this is that the pain in my legs came back, with a vengeance, after that. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a link between hypothyroid symptoms and emotional issues? And after starting levothyroxine were there any emotional or mood issues?

It doesn't change the fact that H was being awful but I'm wondering if my reaction was more extreme, due to the drug! Hopefully the legs will be ok again tomorrow , I really want this to work.

ivykaty44 Thu 24-Mar-16 08:21:49

Your thyroid controls hormones that in turn control your body and therefore your emotions will be altered - so yes emotions will change whilst your body alters to a new dosage if these hormones. Iyswim

Your leg pain is probably your weakness area so an emotional fight will affect how your body physically feels

averywittyusername Thu 24-Mar-16 11:16:04

Thank you ivy. It's all so complicated! I was just surprised at how quickly the leg pain came back, starting to think it's all in my mind, but gp has said to give it 6 weeks to settle in before revisiting any issues so I will try to think positive and wait.

I'm not usually one to think a pill will cure everything but I have been secretly hoping this would, relationship issues aside!

ivykaty44 Thu 24-Mar-16 13:37:19

Your thyroid is the only organ that stores hormones, thus the eight week wait between blood tests - as the balance and out put has to be given time to adjust.

iyamehooru Thu 24-Mar-16 13:58:20

It's all to do with your endocrine system, other illnesses can be closely related. I've have UAT and take 125mg per day, I also have fibromyalgia and at times of stress, tiredness etc my aches and pains are worse.

clarella Thu 24-Mar-16 17:06:51

The 8 week wait is also as the half life of levothyroxine is 10 days. Also it can take a little longer for some symptoms to settle, and gps should talk to you about symptoms too (ie not just treat numbers)

But to answer your op, yes there is a link to emotional issues. They're not sure why, but thyroid hormones affect everything including your brain processing / thinking skills.

As said above, stress will also have an impact. I also feel that when thyroid hormones are 'off' it also causes stress (esp if have to function at a high level eg work etc) as you can't function as well and you become aware that you're struggling.

Hope you feel well soon thanks

clarella Thu 24-Mar-16 17:09:52

Levothyroxine tends to help any mood issues in me if at the right dose.

Your thyroid hormone levels will be changing, I'm not sure about leg pains but there could be other reasons for increasing pain eg hormone cycle etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now