Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

fear of dentists

(6 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Tue 22-Mar-16 22:04:21

How can I tackle this????

hollinhurst84 Wed 23-Mar-16 00:17:36

What is it that scares you, can you pinpoint it?
Mine was injections, so now dentist uses children's numbing gel before them
For noise, an iPod is good
Tell them, they'll probably say put your hand up if you need them to stop

I went from shaking with fear at a check up to having an extraction without sedation. That probably helped to be honest, I was a bit well if that's the worst thing, it wasn't that bad. I mean I wouldn't look forward to it but I would happily go!

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 04-Apr-16 21:42:06

Yes try to identify what it is

SpaceKablooie Mon 04-Apr-16 21:44:36

You can go to your GP for beta blockers, so you won't feel anxious.

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 04-Apr-16 21:47:34

That scares you. Some people don't like the sounds /the smells/ the chair that moves / our gloves. Prospect of pain / being out of control/ bad memories. All valid reasons
You need to be treated by someone you trust who will be calm kind and understanding. Ready to explain as much ( or not) as you need to know about what we doing Someone prepared to stop if you want us to
It's about building trust in us - don't be afraid to tell the dentist that your nervous
It's very very common and you can be prescribed Valium before if you need it

SpaceKablooie Mon 04-Apr-16 21:50:57

Heather, I decided against Valium because I feel that I need to be in control when I'm at the dentist. And I need to drive there and back too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now