Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had a back spasm at LIDL....[blush]

(5 Posts)
stubbornstains Tue 22-Mar-16 13:51:00

...and ended up bent over the trolleys in an ungainly fashion for 10 minutes, with DS2 (9.5 months) regarding me with curiosity from the car. Still managed to do the weekly shop (I was NOT going home without food!), but it was still sore.

Still sore now, a couple of hours later, but in the grand scheme of back pain it's pretty bearable.

BUT: How do I stop this happening again? How do I make myself better this time- lying flat? Exercise? My gut instinct is very gentle stretching, and I think it's helping. Should I see the GP to rule out anything sinister/ get a referral to a physio?

I'm normally very aware of moving in a way that is kind to my back, but I have an immense porker of a baby (he was going above the 91st centile last time I weighed him), and to lift him out of his cot/ into his car seat etc. you almost have to lift him in a way that makes you vulnerable to strain.

I regard this as a bit of a shot across the bows, so any advice on how to maintain a healthy back would be most welcome.

MangoBiscuit Wed 23-Mar-16 10:27:11

I fell over in Lidl, slipped on a wet floor and went flying, cracked my elbow and sat crying on the floor with 2yo DD patting my head saying "there there Mummy" very embarrassing! blush

I injured my back in my teens, fractured a vertebrae and tore muscles. If I misuse it, or strain it too much, I can slip into spasms and not be able to walk or even stand for a few days. I find yoga very useful for both stretching out stiffness, and strengthening my core muscles, as a preventative. I have far fewer episodes when I exercise regularly. When it does go, alternating a hot water bottle, then an ice pack, for several minutes a time, helps. Ibuprofen, lying on my back, knees bent, feet flat, and taking it very, very easy.

Aquamarine70 Wed 23-Mar-16 13:38:19

I was always told if a new injury then don't put heat on it as there is already inflammation & heat will make it worse. Ice packs or frozen peas for 10 mins a few times a day will help. Also an anti inflammatory gel rubbed on the area & taking nurofen will help. Lying on your back bringing your knees to your chest & gently rocking back & forth stretches the lower spine.

longdiling Wed 23-Mar-16 13:40:12

Yes to physio if you can, and pilates! Work on your pelvic floor and core so you're using those instead of your back when you lift

stubbornstains Wed 23-Mar-16 20:35:53

Ooh, I got some answers- thank you all! thanks

The pain has totally gone away now, but I shall try and remember to do some yoga moves and some rocking (you know what I mean smile) every night. We were going to mum and baby yoga, which was great- basically, you all plopped the babies in the middle of the room on a big blanket, and did very gentle yoga aimed at relieving the stresses of birth and baby carrying, but we got kicked out when DS started rampaging, and I miss it.

Will see if I can find Pilates classes near me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now