Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

V heavy period and clots - advice how to cope with the faintness

(6 Posts)
Pandsbear Mon 21-Mar-16 11:53:24

I am in the middle of my second period in 3 weeks. But this one is super heavy --even for me -with clots and I am feeling faint and quite ill. Can anyone suggest coping mechanisms for today really? I have endometriosis and so I know it is a heavy period I just am at a loss to know what to do. I really want the flow to slow down! I have been ill with the cold/headaches/temp for the last week (so basically since my 'last' period ended). This is not usual for me so am hoping just a one off.

dementedpixie Mon 21-Mar-16 11:57:29

Ibuprofen type painkillers are supposed to lessen the flow. Could your gp prescribe something to help?

Pandsbear Mon 21-Mar-16 12:33:30

Sorry I meant to add I already have mefanamic acid from my GP so I am taking those. I am just trying to rest and not move around too much.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 21-Mar-16 12:52:08

Re today would continue to rest up.

Has the GP not referred you to a gynae particularly as you have endometriosis in any case?. Endo can and does cause such heavy bleeding to arise so you should also be seeing a gynaecologist. I would be asking for a referral in your case. Repeated bleeding like this could also cause you to become anaemic so you should seek medical attention.

Treating the symptoms via pills (mefanemic acid often gets prescribed) does not address the problem of the endometriosis in any way, shape or form. The cause has to be properly addressed.

pigeonpoo Mon 21-Mar-16 12:59:01

I have it too. I found using softcups (plus pads) made things feel a little bit less crampy but I have no idea why or how that would be possible - I wondered if the pads give off a chemical I'm sensetive too

That's all I have in my Arsenal though, sorry thanks

SpidersFromMars Mon 21-Mar-16 13:05:12

Iron tablets can help the lightheadedness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now