Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Full knee replacement at 42

(17 Posts)
Therewere5inthebed Sun 20-Mar-16 20:25:01

That's it really, I've had three arthroscopies over the course of 20 years, the last two 6 yrs apart and after seeing the consultant last week they have decided that it's now my only option to control/remove the pain.

Very concerned about the recovery time as I am self employed, have any of you lovelies had this done at around my age and if so how did you find it? The procedure and recovery.

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Mar-16 20:30:47

I didn't think it was recommended in your early 40s.

Have you tried hyaluronic acid injections?

SauvignonBlanche Sun 20-Mar-16 20:34:51

It's not common in your 40s but certainly not unusual. Will it be a total knee replacement or a Uni knee?

nibblingfingernails Sun 20-Mar-16 20:38:45

I had a part knee replacement just a little over 2 years ago - and oh my goodness, it has totally transformed my life! I was 45. I can run, jump, walk, exercise etc. The only thing I cant do is kneel, but then I couldn't do that before without excruciating pain. I had to fight to get it done but I really didn't have much of a life before.

I was advised to take 3 months off work. I had a zimmer frame for 1st couple of days then went on to 2 walking sticks. I had a raised toilet seat and a frame fitted around the toilet. I had to get a armchair with arms. The first couple of weeks were tough but I did the icing and did all the exercises and all physio appointments. Regular pain relief too.

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Mar-16 20:41:25

What is a "part knee replacement"? I'd like to hear about it.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 20-Mar-16 20:49:59

Uni knee here.

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Mar-16 21:16:43

Interesting, thank you.

Therewere5inthebed Sun 20-Mar-16 21:24:17

It's a full with knee cap too, I've tried everything but my knee has deteriorated significantly since my last arthroscopy just over a year ago, my consultant warned me that I would need a new one within 2-5 yrs when I came round from the anaesthetic but I was hoping for longer.

They are supposedly getting more common in younger years now despite the fact that they know replacement will be necessary.

I've had seven years of pain and being unable to live a normal life without worrying how my knee will cope. I miss walking for leisure with my dogs and family and feel I'm far to young to be hobbling about like a very old woman when there is something that can be done.

I'm anticipating three months off but am hoping for less, I'm more worried about work (self employed childminder) than the op itself.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 20-Mar-16 21:53:17

Three months sounds realistic, your mobility will be impaired for around 6 weeks, kneeling will be an issue though which I'm guessing you would do a lot of in your job?

Usual length of stay in hospital would be 3 days.

Therewere5inthebed Sun 20-Mar-16 22:22:54

I've not been able to kneel comfortably for ages now so usually sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me, hopefully given sufficient healing time I may be able to kneel again.

I'm keen to get home ASAP as I have young children of my own who are used to having me around so three days sounds ok to me.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 21-Mar-16 19:25:36

We would aim for a quicker discharge in a younger patient but things can change or there can be things that slow you up such as oozy wounds.

Try to get as organised as possible before you go in make sure the freezer is stocked up and investigate internet shopping.

Virginiaplain1 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:41:03

I had TKN last week - I'm in my mid fifties, so not far off. After a week, I am still pretty swollen and sore, but uncomfortable rather than painful. I've been told to take 6 weeks off work (desk job) and judging by how I'm feeling now, I think that's going to be pretty realistic. They get you up and walking almost immediately and I can get about the house on one stick already - two when outside, but that's more to keep people out of the way IYSWIM. I resisted the op for a year or so, but my consultant persuaded me that I needed to get my quality of life back, rather than waiting. I'm now determined to regain my fitness so that the implant lasts as long as possible and I don't need to get it replaced further down the line.

StrawberryFooled Sun 09-Oct-16 22:00:21

Sorry to resurrect this thread but would love an update on how you are all doing and, in particular, how quickly you returned to work after surgery.

Virginiaplain1 Mon 10-Oct-16 06:43:56

Hello. So nearly six months down the line and things are looking good. I've got good bend in my knee, though not as much as in my good leg. Walking is much better than it was and I can take the dog out for an hour or so with no bother. There's a way to go though. My physio tells me that I'll be back to normal about a year post op - although it will be a new normal. I've been told to avoid high impact exercise, including running, for ever as, although it is possible, it will shorten the life of the implant. However, I have rediscovered cycling and go just about everywhere on my bike.
My knee still gets a bit swollen and 'tight' if I've been on my feet a lot, but not so much to warrant painkillers. There's also been quite a bit of readjustment in other parts of my body - good leg, hips, back as they get used to my new posture. Kneeling is not possible, but can be got around.
Work wise I was off for six full weeks and then returned on reduced hours, building up to full time over four weeks, which was good to do. I still get a bit tired after work some days, but all in all things are much better and I'm really glad that I had the operation.

StrawberryFooled Mon 10-Oct-16 07:00:33

Thanks Virginia - really pleased that you have had such a good result. Can I ask at what stage you were able to stop using crutches and when you felt really comfortable going up and down stairs? I am totally reliant on public transport and am a bit worried about surviving the hustle and hustle of rush hour transport!

Virginiaplain1 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:39:35

I was never on crutches - the hospital supplied me with two walking sticks, one of which was discarded after just a couple of weeks when I was at home and a few weeks later for outdoors. In fact I used a stick out of the house for quite a bit longer than I actually needed to - when I went back to work and while out and about it tended to keep people away from me, so I wasn't worried about folk bumping in to me on the street - and you get doors held open for you and seats on public transport offered more readily!
Stairs - going upstairs has been fine for a good long while - probably since about six weeks post op. However I still find going downstairs a bit difficult - you have to bend your knee much more to go down than to go up. Although I can go down stairs 'properly', it's still quite awkward and I do still sometimes revert to putting both feet on each step, which slows me down, but nothing more than that.

StrawberryFooled Mon 10-Oct-16 20:49:46

Thanks again, Virginia - really appreciate your feedback. I am on one crutch in the house but two when I'm out. I am planning on keeping one crutch til Christmas - my little security blanket! I hope it will make people nicer to me on public transport and at work. Totally get what you say about stairs - I am already quite good going up but can't even attempt a down step.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now