Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Podiatrist or osteopath?

(6 Posts)
MerryBary Fri 18-Mar-16 23:01:36

I went over my ankle 3 months ago, and felt ok at first, but a few days later developed a very painful foot. Cue weeks of limping about before I finally decided to get it checked out, as it did not seem to be getting better. Anyway, I saw an orthopaedic doctor, had an X-ray and was given a course of anti inflammatories. My foot is much better, but it is still a bit sore and swollen (can't see the bone clearly on the top when I flex it).
I'm thinking that I should get treatment of some kind, and as no broken bones I was thinking I should look for a podiatrist or osteopath rather than going back to the orthopaedic doctor I saw. Any ideas which would be best? I am overseas so no GP referral etc. I just have to go find a specialist and really don't know where to go.

LIZS Fri 18-Mar-16 23:09:10

Physio. If it was sprained it can take a while for the ligaments to go back to normal and you may have lost some flexibility.

BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Fri 18-Mar-16 23:52:42

A podiatrist who has MSK qualifications could certainly help you - they will be fully qualified in lower limb injuries. And also be able to look at your gait and structure of your foot to see if anything could be done to help - orthotic wise.

Or a Physio could certainly make an assessment too. Private would probably be an ideal way to get the assessment quickly. And good physio's will have access to all that you may need. Some do acupuncture too which can be a great help.

Both could give you exercises to help strengthen and hopefully start the road to recovery. These things can take awhile but I would certainly get something started

MerryBary Sat 19-Mar-16 00:11:02

And the answer is... neither! grin
See, I really didn't know where to go! Thank you! Physio it is.

MountainDweller Sat 19-Mar-16 23:44:35

I would go back to the orthopedic doctor. They deal with cartilage and ligament damage as well as bones. I would ask for an MRI scan. That will give you a much better idea of what could be wrong, and the doctor can advise physio or other treatment. I am biased though as I had a lot of problems (and surgeries) after an ankle sprain.

janem8117 Fri 01-Apr-16 08:24:19

Definitely a physio. A good physio can do all of the things that an osteopath can do as well as a range of other treatments. If you go privately, physios are usually cheaper than osteopaths too. For many musculoskeletal conditions, a physio would be the best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now