Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Laparoscopy recovery period

(23 Posts)
Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 18-Mar-16 06:50:11

Hi all

I'm due to have a lap and dye (my first) in a couple of weeks and was wondering what people experiences have been with regards to recovery, and how long you had off work. It is diagnostic but if they find anything that they can sort, they will.

I'm very anxious about it all and have told my boss I will need a week off. The op is scheduled for a Tuesday and I've said I'll be back Monday (I'm wondering if I'm being too optimistic). I have a fairly physical job, it's not a desk job and I don't really get breaks as such, but if I don't go in my boss can't do her job, so it is really inconvenient. Do you actually get a sick note? I really have no idea how this works...I just want to be upfront with her.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Fri 18-Mar-16 06:56:32

I've had a few laps for endometriosis and the standard recovery time that they suggest is 2 weeks. If there are no complications etc etc then lots of women find this enough time but I have a physical job too and stayed off a bit longer/went back on reduced duties. Could you talk to your boss?

Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 18-Mar-16 07:15:59

Thank you for your reply. The consultant was a bit blasé about it and said 'oh a few days and you should be fine', but dr Google says otherwise.

Yes I will message her and say something like 'I've done a bit of googling and standard recovery says two weeks, will try to be back sooner but I don't want to leave you in the lurch either'. Do you think that's ok?

Did you actually get signed off/a Drs letter?

Florin Fri 18-Mar-16 07:19:31

I would say 2 weeks for a physical job. I had a desk job and still took 2 weeks off although I didn't like my job much! I found I got very tired quickly after and I knew once I was back I was back and no one would cut me any slack so I stayed off until I was 100%

OrangeSquashTallGlass Fri 18-Mar-16 07:52:39

Yes, I was given a sick note. I think it's best to be as firm about plans as possible. If you say 2 weeks rather than 'I'll let you know' then you'll be in a better position to recover as you'll be able to relax and also work will have a clear idea of how long they need to cover you.

tigerdog Fri 18-Mar-16 07:58:04

I had a week off, but I could have made it back after 3-4 days if I'd pushed myself, but that was to a fairly sedentary job. If it is purely diagnostic I would say a week should be sufficient, but if they do anything treatmentwise then you may need longer. My only real issue was that my stiches got sore and didn't dissolve - as I work in a hospital I got someone to take them out and immediately it felt much better.

tigerdog Fri 18-Mar-16 08:05:08

I should probably clarify - I think you'll need at least a week, and more if they do treatment, or if you do lots of lifting at work etc.

Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 18-Mar-16 08:09:23

Ok thanks guys. I just feel terrible because it really puts them out. Plus the following month I've got a two week holiday booked which means I'll have 4 weeks off in two months. The appointment came through quicker than I expected. It's great for me but not for them.

I'm hoping that it's not just diagnostic, but it depends on what they find and if they are able to sort it there and then. But that means my recovery will be longer.

I've message to say standard recovery is 1-2 weeks and that I want to be honest with her so I don't have to worry about it at the time. Obviously I am worried though. Ofgs pull yourself together woman blush

Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 18-Mar-16 08:11:12

Thanks tiger, I've said definitely the first week. Possibly the second. I don't want two off but I guess it is what it is.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 18-Mar-16 08:11:18

I had a laparoscopy about 15 years ago, and, as far as I can recall, was back to normal the next day.

A lot has changed in that time, it seems.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Fri 18-Mar-16 08:16:29

'A lot has changed in that time, it seems.'
Everyone's different. Maybe you were feeling well enough very quickly but other people wouldn't be. Also it depends on your 'back to normal' - heavy lifting etc is definitely not a sensible with three incision wounds, not to mention myriad other things healing internally if you also had treatment.

Nowwhyareyoucrying Fri 18-Mar-16 08:24:19

A day is really quick, wow! I work 12 hour days, with no proper breaks and need lots of energy. I'm by no means a wet blanket but seeing as you can't drive for 24 hours because of the ga I don't think I'll be doing much for a couple of days.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Mar-16 09:10:32

I wouldn't have been able to go to work the next day. For a start you aren't allowed to drive within 24 hours of a general anaesthetic. Also, I think my chest cavity had been pumped full of air and my chest and shoulders really hurt.

That said, I had a desk job and I had the lap on a Friday and was back at work on the Tuesday. I had seen the GP on the Monday who advised that I could go back to work as soon as I felt ready, so Tuesday it was.

I had my stitches out a week later.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 18-Mar-16 10:34:13

I wasn't even given any special instructions regarding rest, either.
Mi had 2 (small) incision wounds which healed very quickly.

Maybe I was lucky.

Hope all goes well, OP.

friggssake Fri 18-Mar-16 23:21:13

After an L&D I went back to work after 4 days and I was sort of ok... just exhausted. But then I fainted in the office (never have before or since) and work sent me home for a week to recover properly... Which ended up being plenty so all in all I really needed about 7 days. I was a very fit and healthy 20 year old at the time with a demanding but sedentary job.

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Sat 19-Mar-16 10:09:49

I had 2 weeks off after mine and I needed it. But I have a very emotionally exhausting job so it was more about the tiredness than the physical aspect. Really, recovery depends a lot on what they do when they're in there, you can't tell till they've finished.

Bunbaker Sat 19-Mar-16 10:28:15

"Really, recovery depends a lot on what they do when they're in there, you can't tell till they've finished."

And how fit and well you are before they do it. In my case mine was for infertility investigations and I was as fit as a fiddle, so it only took a few days to feel fine afterwards.

Serenitymummy Sat 19-Mar-16 10:33:13

It all depends how quickly you get over the anaesthetic, I had a lap about seven weeks ago and my consultant signed me off for two weeks. I thought "yeah right" and had every intention of going back in the second week, but was so wiped out and needed tons of sleep that I was glad for the fortnight.

Muskey Sat 19-Mar-16 10:43:49

I think I took a week off. I was a bit sore for one or two days then I was fine. I didn't get a doctors note

Stars1 Sat 19-Mar-16 10:57:09

I had one just before Christmas, it wiped me out for at least 2/3 weeks.

The wind in my shoulders kicked in after day 4 and was horrendous for 2/3 days.

Make sure you buy peppermint tea and have a water bottle handy, they were both my saviours.

I think you need to keep an open mind and go back when you are ready. Good luck.

Nowwhyareyoucrying Sat 19-Mar-16 11:01:48

Thank you all for you replies, two weeks seems pretty average. It's for suspected endometriosis and they will try to remove any if they find it. I know I won't really know until after the op but wanted to be upfront with my boss from the beginning about time I think I'll need off.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 19-Mar-16 11:11:00

I was advised to have two days off work post this type of surgery and I was glad of that. I did not need any more time but you may well do. You may or may not be kept in overnight for observation.

I would also ask this person straight out how much experience he has had in dealing with endometriosis cases and what his success rate is. I would also ensure as far as possible that if any endometriosis is found, they do their best to remove it at the time. You do not want any more of this type of surgery than you absolutely need.

I would also talk to them in advance about arranging a follow up appointment a week or so post op to discuss the findings of the operation. It is poor practice for the staff to talk to you about the lap when you are in the recovery room and that should never happen!.

BumWad Sat 19-Mar-16 11:12:11

Hi I've had two and I do a physical job - most definitely 2 weeks.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now