Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Waiting smear results help plz!

(10 Posts)
Donnaann21 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:29:35

Hello i had an abnormal smear test in 2001 and had the abnormal cells lasered off. I have had 14 normal yearly smears since then. However my last smear was normal but hpv present, i was sent to colposcopy and having been examined i was told that my cervix was healthy and nothing abnormal was found. I hve just had my routine smear again and i am terrified that it might come back as cancer because i had hpv. Is 3 years short enough to wait? I have no symptoms of anything but im freaking out about getting my results i cant live like this! 😢

pleaseplease Fri 18-Mar-16 09:48:56

I don't think you need to worry. Really I don't. I had cervical cancer. My experience was nothing like yours. You were told it was fine. Believe it,

Pheobe1 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:48:55

Another with a very different experience. I had CC and was sent for a colposcopy 4 days after my smear and I was told there and then that I had cancer. Try not to worry, the majority of sexually active people will have had HPV at some point. It rarely actually causes cancer.

Donnaann21 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:22:47

Hello thank you for your replies, I went to the family planning clinic yesterday and was crying and upset because i was worried. The nurse told me i didnt have the hpv strain that causes cervical cancer and the doctor that did my smear also said my cervix looked fine. I just cant get my head around if 3 years is long enough between smear tests. Iv had 15 normal ones but im always terrified that one is going to come back saying i have cervical cancer. I have health anxiety could this be triggering it off? Thanks

Donnaann21 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:24:10

Also i am sorry to hear people who have been diagnoses with cervical cancer and i hope you have made a full recovery. It is an utterly terrifying thing to have x

StrawberrytallCake Fri 18-Mar-16 19:28:02

Pheobe1 I hope you're well now flowers

I think it's probably your health anxiety. I had cin3 which is very abnormal cells on my smear and had those removed, after that I spent a week in tears worrying. I have a strain of hpv too, but not one of the two which rapidly cause cancer. The reason they do them every 3 years is because it takes on average 10 years for cells to change so much with non-harsh hpv. It's easy to say don't worry but try not to, are you seeing anyone about your anxiety?

Donnaann21 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:35:03

I was ok health anxiety wise until something like this triggered it off again. I think im just terrified of smear test results. I panic alot. Im always worried that it will come back abnormal but mean cancer. Even though iv always had normal ones for years. Had the same partner for 18 years. And the nurse said i had a low risk strain of hpv. Im just dreading the letter. Even if it was to come back abnormal it doesnt mean cancer does it? Its just to prevent cancer happening if the cells are left and not treated? Is this right? And im doing the right thing never missing a smear test? X

Donnaann21 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:58:30

I also got checked 6 months ago by a gynocologist who examined my cervix and said it looked totally healthy. I really wish i didnt worry like this. X

StrawberrytallCake Fri 18-Mar-16 20:50:11

Yes you're definitely doing the right thing. I had mine checked last December but have just had my 3 yearly smear letter come last week and will still book the appointment. We have the opportunity to keep ourselves healthy by going for these tests, it's to protect rather than to condemn.

No bad results don't necessarily mean cancer. My results were severely abnormal. They called it severe dyskariosis and after having quite a large section cut off my cervix everything is normal so far.

Donnaann21 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:12:51

Thank you i know its for the best, i think anxiety can make you think allsorts. And i think its easier said than done to stop worrying when your a worry wart anyway. I think what started it all off was when jade goody died all those years ago. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now