Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tips for dealing with very very heavy periods

(32 Posts)
Pengillygirl Wed 16-Mar-16 14:39:07

What am I missing? Use the large night time pads all the time, tampons is not even an option. How do you not stain every chair you sit on and how do you not wake up in a puddle? Thank you for any tips! X

ILoveMyMonkey Wed 16-Mar-16 14:55:49

Could you use maternity pads rather than sanitary ones and then double up with period pants for example www.stressnomore.co.uk/intimate-wellbeing/protective-underwear.html?gclid=CO_ppvu6xcsCFdMV0wodvtYOPQ

I haven't personally tried them but have heard they're really good.

I really sympathise, periods are shit flowers

Aquamarine70 Wed 16-Mar-16 15:17:34

I don't suffer but I have read on here that the Tena lady pants are supposed to help. So sorry that you are suffering. Maybe time to see the Dr as you shouldn't have to put up with it. Maybe get a gynaecologist referral as it could be fibroids or something else causing the heavy bleeding.

Bichonsrock Wed 16-Mar-16 16:31:02

This is how I cope, take ibuprofen or tranexamic acid regularly. It halves the flow. Cutting out dairy saw my periods go from lasting 7 days to 3. Diary doll pants from boots or Amazon are good for containment. Moon cup if you can. But yes, should see a doc, it's not normal. Mine are down to endometriosis.

Pengillygirl Wed 16-Mar-16 18:49:14

Thank you , will make an appointment to get referred. Thanks for all the tips too, will invest kn some pants and try tena pants too. X

MoreSnowPlease Wed 16-Mar-16 18:53:16

Tranexamic acid smile

5BlueHydrangea Wed 16-Mar-16 18:56:37

Get referred to a gynaecologist. I did and weirdly today I have just had a hysteroscopy (camera in womb) to help. Had it before and it did improve my periods for about 2 years. Hopefully will be the same.
NB I had a general anaesthetic this time as it was really painful last time, and I am normally pretty good with pain!

5BlueHydrangea Wed 16-Mar-16 18:57:29

Oh and they keep suggesting a Mirena coil to help too. Would this be an option for you at all? I decided against it but apparently they can be great.

steppemum Wed 16-Mar-16 18:57:55

mirena coil.

I went from needed to stay at home on first day, super plus plus tampon with large towel lasted less than an hour and quick movement meant flooding.
Now I hardly have any periods at all.

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Wed 16-Mar-16 19:01:52

Ibuprofen and tranexamic acid here too. And tena lady pants! Horrible business, you need to find out what's causing it. My sympathy op.

Also watch for anemia, take an iron supplement daily. Hope you get it sorted.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Wed 16-Mar-16 20:24:34

Agree on the mirena coil. I've had mine 2 years now and barely used a daily pad. Previously my periods were unmanageable.

Good luck at the docs smile

ColdAsIceCubes Wed 16-Mar-16 20:32:12

I tried the ibuprofen tip this month (very heavy flow, large clots) and I couldn't believe the difference. Going from changing my towel several times during the night, to a full nights sleep...amazing!!

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 16-Mar-16 20:34:20

Please go to the GP, this is not normal and will drain you.
Tranexamic acid didn't help me, I opted for endometrial ablation in the end as I was having to change a super plus tampon and pad every half hour and when you're a teacher this is not realistic!! Though this isn't suitable if you want more children.

RandomMess Wed 16-Mar-16 20:38:21

I also opted for endometrial ablation in the end having exhausted the other options.

Fabulous once your family is completed - got my life back!

lynholmerpark Wed 16-Mar-16 20:38:23

Mirena coil can go either way. Some love, some don't get on with it at all.

I have to double up on days 1&2, tampon plus always nighttime pad and can flood through both in 20-30 minutes at times.

Will definitely try the Ibuprofen suggestion pp have mentioned.

You can get meds from GP to reduce heaviness but worth asking for referral to see if anything is contributing.

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Wed 16-Mar-16 20:43:54

5bluehydranger
A hysteroscopy doesn't relieve heavy periods does it?
I thought it was just a camera to see inside your womb? That's all it was for me.
And a general anaesthetic, you don't even get a local at my hospital!
Amazing how hospitals are different isn't it?

TheDetective Wed 16-Mar-16 21:03:05

Glad you posted this.

I've been having this problem since my periods returned after ds3. I've had 4 periods, which have been horrendous.

I'm using 2 towels, to make them even longer, plus a tampon. I'm soaking through this in an hour, 90 mins maximum.

I'm still on mat leave, and I'm managing by not leaving the house for the 2 worst days.

So as I've got to go back to work in 3 months, I've been to the GP.

First port of call was blood tests. I'm borderline anaemic, so supplementing my diet with iron rich foods. Nothing else was found. So now it's a referral for an ultrasound. Am awaiting that now.

They will look for cysts, fibroids and PCOS. If nothing found, then I was offered the mirena coil, or ablation. Neither seem acceptable options to me at present, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else had other options.

I'm also still breastfeeding, and wondering if that is affecting things.

What's the ibuprofen trick? Is it 400mg 3 times a day? Or less?

Bichonsrock Wed 16-Mar-16 21:13:51

Re the ibuprofen, I was told by my gynae to start taking it the day before period due if possible, 400mgs 3 times a day. Then carry on for first 2/3 days of period. It works on the prostaglandins or something that produce pain.

Corygal1 Wed 16-Mar-16 21:26:30

I use incontinence pads - the only thing that works at night. Have got fibroids, awaiting treatment.

Corygal1 Wed 16-Mar-16 21:27:26

Oh, and sympathies - it's awful.

TheDetective Wed 16-Mar-16 21:48:43

I don't get any pain (luckily). Is it just for pain? Not for the heavy flow?

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Thu 17-Mar-16 17:30:57

It's for the flow- the pain relief is just an added extra!

FretYeNot Thu 17-Mar-16 17:36:45

Tranxemic acid has worked wonders for me.

NightLark Thu 17-Mar-16 17:36:52

Diary doll pants, lillets super plus ultra (orange boxes, only found in larger shops) plus night time towel. And change every 90 mins. Then get found to be anaemic, have a fibroid filling your uterus removed and an ablation.

Mire a wont help if heavy bleeding is due to a big fibroid (six months of hell that was), so it's worth asking for a gynae referral.

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Thu 17-Mar-16 18:17:11

Yes, fibroids are bloody awful things! Mine made me bleed so much I had to have a transfusion. Glad you got yours sorted nightlark, I had a hysterectomy in the end and it was such a huge relief!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now