Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Erm, does anyone have advice/experience of persistent dodgy tummy TMI Warning!

(10 Posts)
DarkBlueEyes Tue 15-Mar-16 13:24:01

God this is embarrassing. I'm having a bit of a mare with my tummy. Well, actually, my bottom.

At half term I had a bout of diarhhoea in val D'isease (tummy bug going around hotel, daughter vomited etc etc) which came right really quickly (no ski time lost!) with a pro-biotic and some immodium. Fast forward. For the last two or three weeks I've had a dodgy tum. Lots of umm, interesting noises (teenage boys would say wet farts I'm sure) and I nearly, nearly nearly, had a Charlotte and Sex and the City moment but fortunately was brushing my teeth at the time and made it onto the loo.

It's mainly all noise and not much action but I've noticed mucous/liquid and my tummy really hurts when I need to go. I've been up on the loo in the middle of the night and this morning it was 6.00 am. This isn't normal, is it? I feel well in myself and am eating normally though did not appreciate the green food colouring in DDs birthday cake appearing this morning

I've ordered a pro-biotic from Victoria Health. Should I be worried about this? I would do most things to avoid going to the GP.... I'm in a new area and the GP is a friend's husband...

Apologies for the TMI but it's not really the kind of thing you can put on Facebook and I'm mainly a lurker on here, so....

Unfortunately it sounds like a GP job. First instinct to me was IBS. Has your diet changed lately? Or any other habits? Particularly stressful time recently?

Also start keeping a food diary, if you go to the GP that's one of the first things they'll ask you about. I was told I had IBS for years, it was only when I kept a food diary that we identified gluten as a trigger. Sure enough, I'm allergic to gluten. Food diary will really help the GP. Unfortunately I think it would be an idea to make an appointment.

DarkBlueEyes Tue 15-Mar-16 13:35:09

Erk. Thanks Ovaries. I do feel a bit stressed right now to tell you the truth. But no more than is normal probably and I haven't killed my kids or kicked the cat just yet. Will start a food diary but I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary.

I'll give it another week or so procrastinate and see how I go.

Thanks for replying to my revolting question!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 15-Mar-16 14:18:49

Would not bother using any more probiotics and do not leave this another week.

I would also suggest you now visit the GP; the stomach bug that you contracted in France has not gone away completely. Tell the GP also that you have been abroad recently. They will likely ask you to provide a stool sample for testing. Salmonella or shigella infection need to be checked for; both can produce green mucosy stools.

Consider drinking the contents of rehydration sachets.

Do not worry that the GP is a friend's husband; such people have seen and heard it all before now and there is the important matter of patient confidentiality to consider. Your stomach hurts and it is impacting on your day to day life. Do not let embarrassment (that is purely of your own making) stop you from seeking medical attention. No-one else but the GP will know about your visit.

Aquamarine70 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:33:18

You could try taking Colofac (Mebeverine Hydrochloride) or Boots own IBS Relief is the same thing. It is an anti spasmodic & I found it really helped when I was very stressed & had IBS. I'd still get checked by the Dr though incase it is any infection that is ongoing. Hope you feel better soon.

gandalf456 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:36:17

I had this a few years ago. I did have my stools tested (clear and not coeliac either). I also had a colonoscopy, which was also normal.

My theory is that it was some kind of post infective IBS but it would be worth checking out. If you don't want to see your usual GP, could you see another at the practice?

DarkBlueEyes Tue 15-Mar-16 15:13:37

Thanks all. This would be my first visit to the GP. Just don't want to be a time waster hmm

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 15-Mar-16 16:02:20

Why would you think you would be wasting their time?. Frankly that is a daft notion!.

You are unwell and the cause needs to be properly determined. If there was a tummy bug at the hotel you were at in France, the chances are that you still have it.

Badders123 Tue 15-Mar-16 16:08:06

Ibs can start after a bout of "travellers tummy" sadly.
Off to the dr with you!
You can buy buscopan otc which helps if you have cramps.
Also try a very bland diet for a couple of weeks and start the pro biotics again.

Minime85 Tue 15-Mar-16 16:46:52

Sounds like the sickness bug has unbalanced you and taking a probiotic should really help. You need to re balance the good bacteria. You need one that is pure not the one in a yogurt kind. If doesn't settle see GP. Peppermint tea every other day should help to calm it too. Avoid caffeine and raw veg until settled as they are harder to digest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now