Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

All the fives... Tamoxigang cancer support thread 55

(927 Posts)
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 12-Mar-16 14:01:48

Welcome newbies and oldies to our 55th thread!

Our previous thread is here.

If you have any sort of cancer please feel free to join us. We are always happy to offer a hand to hold if you're waiting for test results too.

There are no stupid questions here, and there will usually be someone who can answer, or point you in the right direction.

Lilymaid Sat 12-Mar-16 14:48:33

Pleased to be on a new thread after what happened back in January!
I had a 2nd round of my latest chemo yesterday and am feeling reasonable. Haemoglobin level not so bad (at a magnificent 85 three weeks on from last transfusion). Shall probably have a top up just before Easter so I can roar up the hills on my holiday grin.
Lots of good news about new treatments at present so plenty of reasons for us to be positive!
Thanks Leslie for starting the new thread star

mumto2andnomore Sat 12-Mar-16 15:14:58

Yes thanks for the new thread and agree it's good to move on and have a new start smile

Glad you are feeling ok Lily

Love to all hope everyone's having a relaxing weekend

Speedypenguin Sat 12-Mar-16 15:27:16

Thanks for the new thread smile.

Good that you aren't feeling too bad Lily and blood levels are high enough.

Marshy/Leslie- it does feel a bit weird to be 'let go' as such. I think it will probably feel more strange after I have met with my surgeon in April and then that will be it for a year (hopefully). I really need to sort out my diet- far too much sugar. Now with menopause hitting (loving the hot flushes and sleeplessness- not!) I need to take care of my bones.
Anyone any idea how long these menopause symptoms will last?
At least I have warm feet for a change.

wineoclockthanks Sat 12-Mar-16 16:12:05

Oh I love a new thread so I can actually post and not just lurk (my ancient iPad doesn't let me post on any threads with more than about 70 replies)

Glad the SEs aren't too bad Lily and I bet you can't wait for your hols.

Waves hello to everyone else and wishes all well on this gorgeous Saturday ( in the South East anyway.

wineoclockthanks Sat 12-Mar-16 16:14:16

Speedy, I'm nearly 2 years post chemo and on tamoxifen and hate to say it but menopause symptoms still going strong - although you do get used to them and our heating bill will definitely be lower this year grin

pepperrabbit Sat 12-Mar-16 16:18:15

Just marking the new thread, thanks leslie.
Lily I'm not sure what number haemoglobin should be but I'm pleased you're pleased!
speedy it's hard to imagine there being a time when life is not all about hospital visits and treatment plans so I'm so glad to see it happen to you.
I did something a tiny bit stupid this morning.. I "trimmed" the edge of the steri-strip nearest my underarm as it was folding back and annoying me while the rest is resolutely stuck firm. Forgot I have no sensation around the scar, (and might be a tiny bit shortsighted so it's tricky to see under my arm) and stabbed the wound with my nail scissors, there was blood angry. I now have a Disney Princess sticky plaster stuck to my steri-strips hmm
DH just rolled his eyes.
The 2 DS's are away at Boys Brigade camp this weekend so we just have DD here, and my DB has now kindly invited her to a sleepover with his girls while SIL is at a hen weekend.
DH and I are going out tonight!

Speedypenguin Sat 12-Mar-16 16:29:41

Oh dear Peppa! That's not good. It can be easy to damage yourself without realising when it's numb.

Wine- thank you. Someone suggested buying a multivitamin aimed at over 50s as it will be aimed at post menopause. May look into it. Good to hear from you. You'll have to post lots before it gets over 70 smile

royalmama Sat 12-Mar-16 17:25:00

Thanks for the new thread leslie.
Speedy, that is such good news but I can understand how you are feeling regarding this.
Hello everybody else. Do enjoy the weekend!

mrsrhodgilbert Sat 12-Mar-16 17:28:58

Hi wine, nice to see you again. Sorry the menopause is causing you a few issues. Mine must be fast approaching, I'm feeling a little warm occasionally but not nearly enough for me to say I'm there yet. Last week my surgeon said he will do a blood test in 12 months to see how things are, at which point I will come off tamoxifen and onto something different,possibly letrozole. I'm 51 now so it's about the right time anyway.

Pepper, I used to trim my dressings after surgery, never managed to stab myself though!! Do you have an appt coming up for them to be removed? I kept showering which meant mine came off a bit sooner than they should have.

Hi lily, glad to hear you're doing well.

Leslie thanks for the new thread

Hope everyone's having an OK weekend, it's about 10 degrees warmer than a few days ago.

Titsywoo Sat 12-Mar-16 20:54:03

Sorry to randomly barge in but I often look through these threads as I have had a few cancer scares and everyone has always been so supportive. Anyway I noticed that MaryAnnSingleton has been absent for quite some time - is she still on here or just name changed?

mumto2andnomore Sat 12-Mar-16 23:59:00

She still pops in from time to time titsy and had name changed but I can't remember at the moment what her new name is sorry

fresta Sun 13-Mar-16 09:40:31

Morning everyone, just marking my place on the new thread smile, thanks Leslie.

Glad you are feeling ok *Lily and not too many side effects, hope it continues.

I'm trying to enjoy this weekend before my chemo on Friday (last one, yeah!) but dd's mountain of homework is holding it up somewhat! I've set her time-limit! Good news, my hair seems to be growing a little bit! Although the EC has made more fall out, the hair that fell out originally with the docetaxel seems to be growing. My entire scalp is covered in baby-fine white hairs. I'm hoping it regains some colour soon though, I don't fancy being completely white, was anyone elses hair white when it started growing?

buggerpink Sun 13-Mar-16 10:07:32

I'm here - though not often- I was MaryannSingleton but changed after the kerfuffle with hacking ! I preferred MAS though.

buggerpink Sun 13-Mar-16 10:08:15

titsywoo sorry-addressing my previous post to you !

mrsrhodgilbert Sun 13-Mar-16 10:59:43

Biggerpink, I think your new name is brilliant. Sums it up nicely, hope you're well.

mrsrhodgilbert Sun 13-Mar-16 11:00:22

Bloody auto correct, buggerpink!

royalmama Sun 13-Mar-16 11:34:39

Hello festa so you are almost there! Great news! Now plan how you will celebratesmile My hair started off like baby down too and I now have a decent amount of abiut 3 inch hair. I didnt expect it to grow this fast to be honest, but i do have many white hairs intermingled with my natural hair colour. I read somewhere that it is very typical to have white hairs when it regrows.

royalmama Sun 13-Mar-16 11:35:14

Oops that was meant to be fresta sorry grin

buggerpink Sun 13-Mar-16 12:14:11

biggerpink is good too ! I blame the steroids ! am just coming out of fug of first lot of EC - yuck ! feel so much better today than during last week.

Mouseinahole Sun 13-Mar-16 13:01:04

You could even transpose a couple of vowels and make it 'biggerpunk' grin

buggerpink Sun 13-Mar-16 13:17:25

arf !

Elmindarina Sun 13-Mar-16 14:21:07

Hi, I'm new!
I've got breast cancer and am in a weird limbo between diagnosis and treatment - don't even have a surgery date yet and only just had an MRI and waiting to see consultant next week.

We are at a wedding today and haven't told any of our friends yet so this feels like our last chance to have fun for a while! Also a day and night off from the kids.

Just wanted to say hello and join the thread really.

Not looking forward to telling my DD who is 6. We also have DS aged 4 and DS aged 15mo... but the 4yr old has ASD which complicates things.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 13-Mar-16 18:57:00

Welcome Elmindarina, but sorry you have had to join us.

I hope you're having fun at the wedding!

There are posters with all ages of children so hopefully someone will be along shortly. There are various books around to help with explaining to younger children.

wine it's lovely to see you.

I didn't lose all of my hair during chemo, but it thinned significantly. The drugs weren't meant to cause hair loss, and it's carried on falling out since, so it's probably the anaemia. But now I have random white hairs angry they're coarser than my usual hair, which is very thin and babyish normally, and are much shorter so I'm pretty sure they are growing back now my anaemia is improving. I just pull out as many as I can when I see them blush though I suppose if they keep coming back I will have to look into dyeing it, which seems like a faff.

fresta I hope yours will get some colour once they've grown out a bit! smile

royal I'm glad your hair is growing back quickly

pepper ouch! I hope it heals up quickly. And I hope you and MrPepper had a good evening

Lily I hope your haemoglobin stays up until you get your next transfusion. A pre-holiday top up sounds sensible smile

It's definitely better not having the "MNHQ has commented" banner across the top of the thread! Though I suppose it made us look edgier grin

SandwichYum Sun 13-Mar-16 19:07:38

Hi elmindarina, I have two young children also. The youngest is a baby and therefore oblivious, the oldest 5 nearly 6 and I've said very little - basically mummy isn't very well and is having medicine in the hospital to make her better (I'm now half way through chemo, possibly having radiotherapy afterwards, no surgery involved). She's accepted this and not asked much about it really. Kids react much better than adults in my experience!

Hi to all the other new people and the rest of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now