Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have a form of OCD?

(4 Posts)
RainyThursday Thu 10-Mar-16 10:39:43

I'm embarrassed about this. I think I have a 'ritual' form of OCD. Does anyone else recognise this?
I tend to associate things with bad and good luck, sometimes to an extreme measure. For example, I've got clothes which when I've worn them something 'good' or 'bad' has happened. I then start thinking I mustn't wear it gain or must wear it all the time. Sometimes it's not even an item of clothing , it might be the brand. Like ''X brand of shoes must be lucky because I met X, and if I thrown them away then X will disappear from my life.'' If I'm going on a long car journey then sometimes I will wear clothes I wore the previous time because I assume they bring me 'luck'.
I know it is totally barmy. Years ago I used to have ritual routines. Not severe, but they involved placing everything on my dressing table in a certain order and not leaving the house until they were just 'right'.
I am normally level headed and worst of all work as a type of therapist myself, so I can see how mad this behavior is.
Maybe even just writing this helps.

lougle Thu 10-Mar-16 11:04:07

What would happen if you decided not to do it one day? Could you make that choice, or are you forced to comply with your thoughts?

Elledouble Thu 10-Mar-16 11:12:30

It sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me (as someone who has been diagnosed with OCD). The most important question is how much it impacts on your life - if it's stopping you doing things or causing you undue upset, it might be worth seeking some CBT or something to try and address it. Therapy is hard - it basically involves making you do things that you don't want to, to break the irrational associations you've made with the behaviours, but it's supposed to be very effective. Good luck.

pleaseplease Fri 18-Mar-16 10:08:07

It does sound as if it could be OCD. I'd try to stop these behaviours sooner rather than later, nip it in the bud so to speak. They may be manageable now and not impact on your life too much, but could get worse when you are under more stress etc.
Be aware that when you first resist these behaviours, your anxiety increases initially. Be prepared to work through that because then it will decrease.
Get some self help books.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now