Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

periods going from regular to odd

(8 Posts)
longlivetheking Wed 09-Mar-16 10:05:42

I've always had very whilst periods, 28 day cycle. So regular even DH would know when i was due on.

With this came PMT the week before & bad cramps in my knee and groin joints and sometimes even elbows. As well as the regular stomach cramps. I posted on here years ago (different username) & also saw GP who did bloods but found nothing and told me to live with it.

Recently, as in since about December, my periods have become less regular. One was at least a week or more late, then I had another only about 2 weeks after. Settled down and I had a normal period but am now at least a week late despite being moody and suffering with cramps and bloating like it is imminent.

I am definitely not pregnant.
In good health.
Have been doing slimming world since October and lost over a stone and a half but not rapidly.
Not on any hormonal contraception.
Last smear was fine (due next year I think).
I'm 36 & really hoping it's not the start of the menopause or anything.

Any ideas?

Snozberry Wed 09-Mar-16 15:22:16

I'm going through the same thing at the moment and I am 26 so unlikely to be menopause. My GP thinks it's anxiety/stress related but I'm having a scan soon to check for ovarian cysts because I also have some new pains. Do you have any other symptoms?

flanjabelle Wed 09-Mar-16 15:26:47

My periods went weird whilst losing weight. I lost 3.5 stone and they were up and down for a while. Gone back to normal now.

UptownFlunk Wed 09-Mar-16 16:01:06

I had this and it turned out I had hormonal imbalance due to a benign pituitary tumour (nothing to worry about they are usually just controlled with drugs). Go and have some tests and see what your hormone levels are like. Could be lots of other reasons but always worth getting things checked out.

longlivetheking Wed 09-Mar-16 16:03:31

No other symptoms that I can think of.

I did have flushes but they didn't hang about long so think I was fighting an infection!

Perhaps it is the weight loss then? I will make proper notes of my periods and keep an eye. I'd like another opinion re the joint pain anyway so at least I can go armed if they don't settle down. Really hope they do smile

Thanks for the replies

longlivetheking Wed 09-Mar-16 16:04:10

Ah ok, uptown, thank you. Will make an appointment.

UptownFlunk Wed 09-Mar-16 21:42:43

Glad you are going to make an appointment. Good luck, am sure it's nothing to worry about, hormonal imbalances for one reason or another are very common. smile

longlivetheking Wed 09-Mar-16 21:55:11

I'm not very good at the doctors Uptown and so am a bit worried about being fobbed off. It's good to have something to ask for (test for hormone levels) so thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now