Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

numbness in left hand

(20 Posts)
Castasunder Mon 07-Mar-16 08:41:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sadie9 Mon 07-Mar-16 09:57:37

Are you left-handed? Were you doing any physical activity in the last few days, or driving a long distance? Or doing a lot of typing.

Castasunder Mon 07-Mar-16 11:02:40

blobbityblob Mon 07-Mar-16 12:07:05

I have similar.

It's one to see your GP with. Whilst waiting for the appointment try and make notes - is it coming and going, worst during day or at night, worse sitting, standing, lying. How painful. Does it improve with painkillers - which type. Is it affecting strength - e.g. can you still grip/handwrite ok.

I sit at a desk all day and have problems with discs in my neck, trapping the nerves down to my arms. But it's taken a year to establish that, ruling out many other things in the process.

It might be minor and temporary or something that needs treatment. Nobody can advise you over the internet unfortunately. You need a Dr to take a history and examine you.

Castasunder Mon 07-Mar-16 15:35:54

I get problems in my left arm and hand due to slipped discs in my neck pressing on nerves. See your GP. There are a number of things it could be so you will need to get checked out.

Castasunder Mon 07-Mar-16 16:31:00

I get the pains /tingling in my hand and arm and muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. The exact problem was identified by an MRI.

MissTriggs Mon 07-Mar-16 16:59:28

Carpel tunnel is a member of a" family" of syndromes(I have one as well)
go to the Gp

Castasunder Mon 07-Mar-16 21:34:01

Cubital tunnel syndrome affects the little finger. It is caused by problems with the nerves near your elbow. I used to get it when I was pregnant possibly because of fluid retention or possibly due to sleeping with my elbows bent up to avoid my bump.

There are various things that might be causing the problem so you do need to see your GP. If it feels like it is getting worse then or spreading then I would push for an earlier appointment. I am on medication for nerve pain but on the odd bad day it does feel like a nail is being hammered into my hand or forearm so you have my sympathy.

Castasunder Tue 08-Mar-16 09:43:43

MissTriggs Tue 08-Mar-16 13:36:36

Two weeks is a long time if it is a matter of a soft tissue injury around the neck area. I wish we could help more.

Do you have £50 to see the most experienced osteopath in your nearest practice? Or £250 to see a neurologist privately at a BUPA or Spire?

Can the GP practice organise blood tests before your appointment in two weeks?

Castasunder Tue 08-Mar-16 14:12:40

MissTriggs Tue 08-Mar-16 14:29:49

iI don't know what blood tests show - they show all sorts! I just know they are sort of the first thing a GP does.

Yes I think tingling is usually about the nerves (getting squished).

when both my hands started tingling last summer I began to feel tingling in my feet too but the foot thing was just the anxiety - we get minor pins and needles all the time but once you're sensitised you notice it more.

If this is a soft tissue injury you want treatment asap.

Is the situation affecting your work?

You should keep a symptom diary - even if it's this thread!

I'm sorry - wish I knew more.

blobbityblob Tue 08-Mar-16 17:08:23

I think the blood tests give the GP a clue where to refer you sometimes. So things like blood sugar levels, inflammatory markers - they indicate all kinds of different things.

Whilst you're waiting for your GP appointment, another thing you could try is having an eye test. My neurological condition was picked up by the optician and I was then sent to hospital the same day. I had no idea there was anything wrong with my eyes but had been having some neurological symptoms. It's a fairly cheap way of ruling some things out.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 08-Mar-16 17:11:08

So you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 08-Mar-16 17:11:28

Do you...

Castasunder Tue 08-Mar-16 19:12:43

HopeandSoap Wed 09-Mar-16 20:18:21

Could be one of many things but def need to see a GP earlier. Also go to supermarket and get a CO2 alarm now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now