Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"What you need is a tonic"....? Recovering from illness.

(6 Posts)
Kbear Mon 07-Mar-16 07:34:07

My nan used to say this if we'd been ill.

Do people still take a tonic to boost their health if they've been ill?

DS has been ill for over a week with a virus, still not well enough to go back to school today, hasn't eaten properly for days and someone suggested a tonic.

What should I get, if anything? I'm a firm believer in good food rather than taking supplements but happy to stand corrected if I am missing a trick.

sadie9 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:01:40

I don't have much faith in tonics, or supplements. And if someone is already feeling a bit off their food from having a virus, then a couple of spoons of something else yucky won't help.
If it was a flu type virus it can be a week of the virus then a week of lethargy, no symptoms but just very tired. Both mine had a flu type virus 7 days and then another 5 days barely moving off the sofa and not well enough for school.

shamonts Mon 07-Mar-16 10:03:11

I swear by Sambucol and Ferroglobin. You can get them in boots. Dd3 has just finished both bottles and is now in rude health.

Kbear Mon 07-Mar-16 11:16:39

thanks

sadie = DS is exactly there - he is over the virus but absolutely ghostlike and pale and lethargic. He's up and showered and it's taken it out of him. He's eating chopped apple and cheese at the moment - he can't face a proper meal.

School just rang and asked why he wasn't back but when I explained they understood. I hope he's back tomorrow - don't like him missing school.

Kbear Mon 07-Mar-16 11:18:03

shamonts - I'll have a look at the bottles when I go to Boots later. Unless they are yuck tasting, I might get one - is one better than the other? He's been feeling sick due to the cough and I don't want to make him feel nauseous again.

shamonts Mon 07-Mar-16 12:00:29

No the sambucol one tastes of ribena smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now