Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dizzy episode, panicked, humming. Any ideas?

(5 Posts)
UsernameIncorrect Sun 06-Mar-16 19:24:48

I was eating with an elderly person today, mid sentence they stared into space, looked frightened and started a moaning/humming noise. It lasted about 10 seconds.

He said he felt dizzy during it, like everything was spinning. No pain.

He won't see GP. He's diabetic and we're trying to treat a large ulcer on his leg.

Aquamarine70 Mon 07-Mar-16 11:56:40

I would be worried that it could have been a mini stroke. He really should be checked. Mini strokes are usually a precursor to a full stroke.

Does a nurse come in to do his insulin or treat the ulcer? Can you ring his Dr surgery with you concerns?

UsernameIncorrect Mon 07-Mar-16 15:25:44

Thank you for the reply. I worried about that too. He told me not to worry and continued his meal. I'm worried about contacting his GP as our relationship is fairly new and I don't want to jeopardise it iyswim.

He is treated by the nurse in the local small hospital.

OzzieFem Mon 07-Mar-16 18:44:21

I agree with Aquamarine70 , if you are concerned about contacting his GP then go directly to the nurse who is treating his leg ulcer.

A workmates father was having these transient ischaemic attacks (TIA's) but would not see his GP. It was only after he drove his car into a brick wall while having one, that he finally went. He is now on medication and no longer has a car or driving license. Fortunately the only thing that was hurt in the incident was the car, no one else.

UsernameIncorrect Mon 07-Mar-16 20:32:36

Thank you. Yes, I think losing his license might be a factor here. I will tell him they may possibly be mini strokes, it'll frighten him but he would probably take action then. He lives on a farm alone in the middle of nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now