Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really stupid question about getting a coil fitted

(5 Posts)
Kitsmummy Sun 06-Mar-16 15:36:20

Hi, I've decided I want to get a coil fitted (copper or mirena, whichever the doctor recommends), but if I make an appointment with the gp, will she fit one there and then, or will I just discuss it with her/get measured perhaps??? And then go back another day to get it fitted?

I haven't got a clue how it all works so I want to be mentally prepared for that first appointment! Thanks

TheoriginalLEM Sun 06-Mar-16 15:43:04

I would imagine it would depend on your surgery. You could ask the receptionist and they will book you an appropriate appointment. Generally i think you'll need a double appointment and an available nurse for a chaperone/assistant. Although may depend on if its a male dr, always had male drs do mine.

I have a mirena coil (my second) as a copper coil just made me bleed constantly and was agony. I don't have periods apart from a very small amount of spotting and some period symptoms (sore boobs and light period pain).

Do you have a family planning clinic at your surgery?

Diggum Sun 06-Mar-16 15:44:55

You'll usually gave a chat first and maybe get some swabs taken and be given a prescription for the coil. They're best inserted during your period so it's good to get swabs (to rule out vaginal/cervical infection- very standard) done at a first visit and then come back.

Kitsmummy Sun 06-Mar-16 15:48:40

Thank you both, that's really helpful. I'll mention the reason for the appointment when I phone up. Thanks again

LIZS Sun 06-Mar-16 15:53:24

I've previously had to make a specific appointment. Have the consultation to discuss it then arrange a suitable time (usually at a particular point in your cycle, may come under minor ops and need a particular doctor).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now