Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Missing periods, does this sound menopausal to you?

(4 Posts)
NoTractorsAtTheTable Fri 04-Mar-16 15:32:34

Before I start, I do have a doctors appointment booked for next week, but looking for experiences in the meantime…and more than willing to be told to get a grip! grin

I’m 33, two DCs (youngest is almost 6), and haven’t had a period since July. Definitely not pregnant. I’ve always had quite a long cycle (~35 days) and it’s not unheard of for me to miss a period (or two) when stressed out. For example, in the past, I’d miss a period during exam time at uni, or now if I’m exceptionally stressed at work. However, it’s never been this long before and I only realised how long it’s been the other day when I actually worked it out blush. Work and home life is all good, general health is good, no weight-loss/gain, last smear was normal, conceived both DCs without much trying and periods came back fairly quickly after both DCs. Never used hormonal contraception, use condoms when we do have sex.

However (and this is where I’m feeling a bit concerned), the last few weeks my sleep is being disrupted (I’m waking about 4-5am) and there have been a couple of occasions recently where I’ve been uncomfortably warm, like I’m radiating heat, for no apparent reason. Sex drive has never been very high, but is really non-existent at the moment. Does this sound like the start of menopause, or am I worrying unnecessarily? My mum is going through hers just now in her 50s, which is why it’s on my mind just now, I can’t help but join the dots confused

digerd Fri 04-Mar-16 19:50:12

It could be a Thyroid problem. I expect your Dr will arrange a blood test for that. Too much or too little Thyroxine in the blood can affect your periods as well as many other things.

AuntieStella Fri 04-Mar-16 19:53:48

I think you need to go and see your GP.

Premature menopause is a possibility (and this early you really do need to think about HRT). But there are other possibilities (like thyroid) and you need to get this properly looked in to.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Fri 04-Mar-16 20:03:14

Thank you both for replying - I hadn't considered it might be thyroid-related, I think I've over-reacted somewhat blush Doctor's appointment is a week today, I'll keep an open mind until then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now