Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods and ultra sound scan

(6 Posts)
Kjjwales Wed 02-Mar-16 15:04:04

Hi
I was just wondering about other people's experiences of ultrasounds, were you given the results there and then or did you have to go back to your gp?
I was referred for an internal scan due to heavy periods on the copper coil followed by constant spotting on the merena coil.
I had the scan today, by a really nice lady who was training and so being helped and chatting to the sonographer. At one point I swear I heard her say 'polycystic' and 'at least 12' but at the end of the scan she said it all looked fine and the results would be with my gp in 1 week.
I'm not sure if either i totally imagined the polycystic comment or if they tell everyone things are ok (unless it's very serious) because the gp can offer more answers/advice/treatment?
Does anyone else have any experience with this??
Thanks

lionheart70 Wed 02-Mar-16 15:08:48

I have had ultrasounds and at each appt have been told if there's an issue, although I have then been contacted by the gp with more info.

puglife Wed 02-Mar-16 15:17:52

I had a scan. They said they could see cysts but didn't go into detail and said the results would be with the GP as they would also need to look at blood tests for diagnosis. I was told I have PCOS.

StrictlyMumDancing Wed 02-Mar-16 15:36:57

I've had a few ultrasounds for my period issues and usually they don't tell me the results. I asked once if they could tell if I had certain issues and they confirmed they would be able to see that, but wouldn't confirm if they were actually seeing it then (turns out they were!). I'm under the impression is depends on the level of staff member performing the scan (as you're not meant to diagnose below certain levels) and individual hospital policy.

I do know the more they're clicking and measuring in specific areas is normally a giveaway though.

I hope you get an answer soon though flowers

WipsGlitter Wed 02-Mar-16 15:41:03

I had one last night and the doctor immediately told me what was wrong (fibroid).

Kjjwales Wed 02-Mar-16 16:19:40

Thanks for the replies, seems it depends who you see as to whether they tell you anything. Will have to wait to see the gp, if I ever get an appt ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now