Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods ruling my life (again. :( )

(5 Posts)
MeadowHay Wed 02-Mar-16 12:51:53

I am 22. I started menstruating when I was nearly 12. I used to have to take a few days off school most months from being about 13/14 until I was nearly 17 because my periods were so, so heavy (flooding, clotting, needing to change sanitary towel every 45 mins or so to ensure no leaks etc). By the time I was 16 I was sometimes having two bleeds a month. When I started sixth-form, not long before I turned 17 I finally went to the GP and she put me on the combined pill. It changed my life. I stayed on that for a few years, then I went on depo-provera for about a year, have not had an injection since September. This is because me and DH now want to ttc. However now my awful heavy irregular periods have returned, making this really difficult. I have been tracking my cycles and I basically don't HAVE a luteal phase. I bleed for a week (the first 3 days or so being so awful I can barely leave the house), then have a week of respite, then bleed for another week. I know it is not just the effect of coming off the depo because I say, I was exactly like this before I went on any BC. I have an appt with the gynae next week...what should I expect? I am worried she will brush me off. I am worried that I may be infertile, and on top of that all this bleeding is impacting my studies (uni attendance), my mental health, my social life, everything sad sad

MeadowHay Wed 02-Mar-16 12:54:18

(For illustration, I bled for a total of 13 days in february in three separate bouts, with 4 days of spotting on top of that in two different bouts.)

juneau Wed 02-Mar-16 12:54:46

I can't believe that a gynae wouldn't take you seriously. What you're experiencing is awful OP. No one should have to live like that. I would expect the gynae to order a number of tests asap to determine why you're suffering in this way and what it means for your fertility. You've only got another week to wait after years of misery, so please hang in there. And good luck!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 02-Mar-16 14:13:53

I doubt very much that you will be at all brushed off given your symptoms.
If you have kept a pain and symptom diary to date take this in with you as well.

Heavy bleeding can often be caused by fibroids so you should be checked to see if those are present.

MeadowHay Wed 02-Mar-16 20:02:29

I just don't know what it could be because I don't really get particularly bad cramping or any other pains, and when I was on birth control it was all fine. Thanks for your support. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now