Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can any dentist tell me if this is normal please :(

(3 Posts)
Lostmyemailaddress Tue 01-Mar-16 11:11:50

Hi I had a full dental clearance on the 5th February at the hospital under a general. There have been a few complications and I have to go back on Friday the 4th to see the consultant. Main reason being a lump they found that they think is due to constant infections I kept having. The clearance was due to my roots kept dying inside otherwise healthy teeth and that and 6 pregnancies my teeth kept crumbling causing abscesses and infections. I know I needed it doing.

24 hrs after the operation my mouth started smelling foul I couldn't stand more then water at this point and I had given up smoking. The pain got worse and I went to my dentist who said I had a severe infection top and bottom and I was given 2 lots of strong antibiotics as I'm allergic to penicillin. I ended up needing a second lot and needed to go back to hospital as infection would not go. The hospital cut some stitches and packed my gums with some brown packing and stitched a big gap that had been left showing jawbone near my tongue. These stitches came out last night. They also removed the width of 2 molars that had been left in.

My original stitches from the operation haven't come out yet and they are beginning to hurt and feel like they are being tugged it's 25 days after the operation and I was told they would come out in 7 to 10 days. I'm also having tooth that they left in come away but there is still quite a bit in my gums still. My top jaw bone at the back feels like it has bristles in it and hurt when touched and at the front on the bottom where the gum meets my lip I can feel hard spots which I think may be bits of loose tooth as well as having big lumps with tooth still in the part where some teeth where. I can't wear my dentures as they hurt where the tooth bits are and I'm struggling to eat more then mash and blended vegetables sad . Is all this normal after a clearance I'm now worried they may want to operate again and if it isn't normal I don't feel confident the same surgeon do it.

I should probably say I was under for over 2 hours for them to do this so I know they had difficulties and I think I just need to hear that this is normal for that.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 01-Mar-16 13:43:22

Phone them.

Lostmyemailaddress Tue 01-Mar-16 14:13:48

I have tried the hospital and the lady on the phone said to talk to consultant on Friday and my dentist doesn't have any appointments until after then as it's not seen as an emergency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now