Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nineteen year ild possible glandular fever

(23 Posts)
mumslife Fri 26-Feb-16 18:31:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DigestiveBiscuit Fri 26-Feb-16 20:32:45

Symptoms include flu like illness, sore throat, feeling absolutely exhausted straight after breakfast and needing a nap.....exhaustion all day, depressed although being tired all the time is depressing! It's called the kissing disease, so it can be passed on....although iirc, it's not particularly infectious and some people have had it as a child, when it's milder and probably assumed to be flu.

There is no treatment except good diet, no alcohol (gf puts a strain on the liver), enough sleep...the usual for looking after yourself!

Naoko Fri 26-Feb-16 21:23:54

I had this when I was 19 as well, it's pretty common around that sort of age. It's a pain in the arse, you basically feel constantly wiped out, sore, ill. Like a really bad cold, only it lasts months (sometimes).

All you can do is take care of yourself with lots of sleep, good food, etc, and treat to relieve symptoms (so painkillers for pain, tea with honey for a sore throat etc). If the 19YO is at uni/college, they should speak to their tutor or support department, because it may last quite a while and have an impact on their performance. Do this before they fail an exam, not after.

Haffdonga Fri 26-Feb-16 21:40:53

DS had it at 19 (just before starting uni las september).

Symptoms included a sore throat from hell that was filled with pussy white spots; raging temperature that lasted a week; feeling more ill than he had ever felt in his life. He actually collapsed at the GP and had to be put on a bed for an hour or two (but that didn't impress them enough to think he needed hospital).

He also had longer term fatigue-like symptoms for 2 or 3 months including extreme tiredness, dizziness and generally feeling 'weird' (ds's term).

The good news is he was totally recovered within 3 - 4 months and is now to be spotted leading a nocturnal life in the seedy haunts of his university town while managing to hand in eassys on time.

Hope your 19 year old feels better soon.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Fri 26-Feb-16 21:43:11

I'd also avoid paracetamol- also puts a strain on the liver.
Lots of sleep.
Expect to feel better then worse on and off and not to overdo it on the good days.

Groovee Fri 26-Feb-16 21:44:38

Took me about 6 months to feel better. I was really tired and some days unable to get out of bed.

HelenF35 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:57:16

I had it when I was about 16. It was awful. I found myself falling asleep in classes and generally felt awful for months. There isn't really anything you can do apart from rest I'm afraid.

mumslife Fri 26-Feb-16 21:57:27

elephantoverthehill Fri 26-Feb-16 21:59:19

I had it when I was taking A'Level mocks, or rather should have been taking mocks. 'Really knocks you out as other posters have stated. The worse bits were the dreams or nightmares, they were really vivid and frightening, and the relentless 'planning' eg 'I'll get up and do X,Y and Z only to be completely exhausted by getting up and going to the loo. If does end up being GF be aware that it can strike back more mildly for a while afterwards if you are a bit stressed or unwell. I really hope it is something else like an easy to get over random virus flowers

PollyPerky Sat 27-Feb-16 15:36:11

I had it when I was 27. I was knackered. The blood test is accurate because they look for mono..something or other!
I had a month off work but my boss sent me paperwork to see to (very naught of her but i was young and silly- should have told her to piss off) and TBH I was struggling with that- you get brain fog and headaches for ages.
I didn't feel 100% for a year BUT I had a very demanding job. I would go to bed at 8pm for weeks once back at work.
She needs to take care if she does have it because it can infect the spleen too and that can be permanent damage.

DigestiveBiscuit Sat 27-Feb-16 17:06:45

Soy, yes, iirc, dd2 was told no contact sports like karate in case of getting hit in the spleen?

SparklesandBangs Sat 27-Feb-16 17:28:37

DD was tested for GF last week took less than 24 hours as she has been admitted to hospital, she was clear. Her medical issue was sorted with 24 hours of IV drugs. IIRC the best treatment for GF is rest and more rest, is your DD at home or uni?

mumslife Sat 27-Feb-16 20:02:55

PalcumTowder Sat 27-Feb-16 22:35:44

Glad she's feeling a bit better. I had at 17/18 and had ups and downs but ended up in hospital with dehydration, malnutrition and a weird swollen liver. She should rest and avoid any drugs or alcohol (I mean painkillers), even for a while after she's completely better. I didn't and I got post-viral depression. It look a good year to recover, but hopefully it won't be so severe for your daughter.

Oh I was also mistakenly prescribed penicillin which reacts with the virus somehow and made me worse. I was later told penicillin should absolutely not have been given for glandular fever, so be wary of that.

I feel for her, it's shit. flowers

SparklesandBangs Sat 27-Feb-16 22:55:14

I made encouraged DD to come home last weekend to rest and bought her 1st class direct train tickets so she didn't exert herself, I am sure it helped and she is getting back to normal and now back at uni. She had to clear this with the uni and she had to complete forms and get agreement from her course, but this was on medical advice.

Even if it isn't GF can you DD get medical advice and agreement from her uni and come home for her recovery?

mumslife Mon 29-Feb-16 07:55:26

StrattersDD Tue 01-Mar-16 15:12:32

I'm due to be tested for it on Friday, how bad was the sore throat? Mine was/is similar to tonsillitis, but very, very painful.

Elephant very reassuring to hear about the dreams! I've been having terrible ones for about a fortnight and that explains it smile

mumslife Tue 01-Mar-16 17:16:31

whatisforteamum Wed 02-Mar-16 10:45:36

Blood tests proved i had this at college.Unbareable sore throat and falling asleep at the dining table.My Mum had it so bad she had to dribble her saliva into a bowl and felt awful and sick.I felt better in a week however warned college i couldnt over do it for a few weeks.

StrattersDD Wed 02-Mar-16 19:35:03

That sounds a lot like it, bless her sad

SellFridges Wed 02-Mar-16 19:53:55

I had it at 16/17. I had tonsillitis repeatedly - dribbling rather than swallowing was standard. I was wiped out for months - I'd nap for 3 hours when I didn't need to be at college. I was susceptible to tonsillitis for a good while afterwards.

mumslife Fri 04-Mar-16 13:01:19

whatisforteamum Sat 05-Mar-16 10:17:53

Oh good ive just had a nasty throat thing it took a week to recover.i hope she is better ASAP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now