Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any physios out there? I need to ask a question about knees and feet.

(4 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Fri 26-Feb-16 18:02:07

My feet naturally turn in at the toes. Since I was about 10yo I have made a conscious effort to stand and walk with my feet pointing straight.

I'm now 50 and am developing problems with my knees. Partly, I know, because I have fallen arches (I use orthotics) and partly from an injury 30y ago. But I have noticed that my knees are less uncomfortable if I let my toes turn in.

Have I been doing myself damage by keeping my feet in an 'un-natural' position? Straight feet feel natural to me now, but they revert to turned-in when I am particularly tired.

Kazkiss82 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:13:29

You need to see a podiatrist and get some insoles made! Makes the world of difference

Artistic Sat 27-Feb-16 19:43:14

Orthotics that offer arch support and exercises to strengthen your quads, glutes and calves will help take the weight off your feet and knees and bring down your pain/discomfort. I speak from personal experience of flat feet and years of suffering knee pain. Am on my way to start running in the coming months.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 28-Feb-16 00:15:10

I already wear orthotics in my shoes. Without them I get severe knee pain - absolutely they make a world of a difference!

But I wonder turning my toes out 'un-naturally' for 40y has caused/is causing my knees more strain. The fallen arches is just background stuff. I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now