Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This is really really gross I'm afraid, but I'm desperate - can you please please PLEASE help me?

(21 Posts)
NotMyNN Fri 26-Feb-16 16:56:28

Have NC as am so mortified by this as it is truly just grotesque.

All 5 toenails on my right foot are covered in a disgusting, thick, fungal type infection that I'be beginning to think will never gosad

Can you please tell me you stories or give me any tips? IE what you did that has successfully got rid of yours?

Please advise if you can, it's a really distressing thing to have and the thought tht I could have it for the rest of my life is just horrendous. sad

Separately, I am and have been for a long time now very chronically unwell, is there any truth in the whole 'candida issues' thing (that may be a reason for why I am so very unwell?) or is that just lentil weavers talking?

Help???

PollyPerky Fri 26-Feb-16 17:00:51

Go to your GP. There are prescribed medications (oral tablets) to clear this up but they do take months, not weeks.

There are various anecdotal stories about applying Vick, tea tree oil, wing of bat, eye of newt etc , but if it's really bad and not just one nail, you need professional help.

NotMyNN Fri 26-Feb-16 17:05:28

Thank you Polly

The context is theroader illness is very weak physically, constantly exhausted, bones/joints/muscles hurting to point where cannot care for DC.

And bastard fungal infection is just the sodding cherry on the cake. For years now I've been unable to wear pretty sandals or anything.

My question is HOW to treat as I don't know anybody who HAS successfully treated theirs. Hence asking for help or hope.

Technoremix Fri 26-Feb-16 17:07:47

You need oral meds from GP. It will probably take 6 months to clear but you need to visit your GP.

AnthonyPandy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:19:42

I had Terbinafine from the GP. One tablet a day for six months or so cleared up two fungal nails, nothing else did. I wanted the infection gone so if you do, don't faff about with other stuff, just go to the GP.

AnthonyPandy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:22:13

And, just in case, I used a different nail clipper for the infected nails than the normal nails. I'm not sure if it could have spread that way but I wasn't prepared to take the chance. You can get this cleared up with medication.

NotMyNN Fri 26-Feb-16 18:45:31

Anthony May I ask how long ago that was and if they have stayed fungal free ever since?

I have tried topical things but 1: was a major faff; and 2: just didn't seem to work anyway angry

I have heard of the tablets but heard they were quite bad for you and also that frequently once the tablets stopped then the infection just returned?

AnthonyPandy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:27:09

I'm still taking them but I think it has been about six months and I expect my request for a repeat prescription to be refused any day now, and I shall make another GP appt. The last of the infected nail has been cut away, but I suppose how long your nails are, mine are pretty short. My GP did a blood test before she would prescribe them, and seemed happy to prescribe. I have had no issues with them and my nails are looking great so far.

AnthonyPandy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:28:37

I suppose it depends how long your nails are

elevenweekstogo Fri 26-Feb-16 21:36:11

Terbinafine. It's brilliant. I tried every blinking cream, nail polish, vinegar bla bla bla.....

I became so upset with it. I honestly felt revulsion and despair. I could barely remove my sock at the docs as I was so horrified and embarrassed. The doc barely batted an eyelid, she looked at me like it was absolutely nothing and gave me the prescription. Within 6 months all my nails were clear. I couldn't believe it! After a year my little piggies are just beautiful! Strong and healthy. And the infection was pretty bad...all toes on one foot, a couple on the other.

Be brave, however to GP, start taking the pills and you will wear sandals again! smile

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Feb-16 21:37:35

My DS had the tablets. IIRC he had three toenails affected. No side effects and it hasn't come back (several years later).

elevenweekstogo Fri 26-Feb-16 21:38:56

Mine didn't return. I felt no ill effects taking the pills. I couldn't live with them anymore and no topical treatment could tackle it. They were so expensive and useless!

sodabreadjam Fri 26-Feb-16 21:38:58

I suffered from this for years - one finger nail and a couple of toe nails. My GP prescribed various useless paint-on potions that evaporated as soon as I opened the bottle. He refused to prescribe the tablets as he said they affected the liver.

Anyway, he went on holidays one time and I saw a locum doctor. He prescribed the tablets and I managed to get them for six months - they did the trick. The locum said that the tablets would affect some liver stats but they would go back to normal once the tablets were stopped. Hooray for the locum! Don't suffer - get the tablets.

annandale Fri 26-Feb-16 21:39:39

Op, I'm presuming that you've had blood tests for underactive thyroid? Your symptoms would suggest it.

There seems to be a little bit of non-woo actual evidence linking endocrine disorders with nail disorders but not hugely strong.

Floralnomad Fri 26-Feb-16 21:43:02

I took the terbinafine for mine , no side effects and no fungal return and that was several years ago but you do need to take them for months .

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Feb-16 21:45:37

And please don't be mortified. Our bodies do all kinds of yucky things. Tonight I picked DD's verruca again. (Treatment is ointment on. Pick off. Reapply ointment. Feel like crying as the bastard thing isn't going! Last step optional!)

museumum Fri 26-Feb-16 21:46:38

My dh took the tablets about three years ago and has been clear since. It also cured his recurring athletes foot which must have been related.
The tablets are tough on your liver though. They monitor your liver function first so you may not be well enough.

ouryve Fri 26-Feb-16 21:47:06

It's nothing to be embarrassed about - quite common if you're run down. I've always had it in at least one nail. The first one happened after someone stood on my toe.

Titsywoo Fri 26-Feb-16 21:47:50

I have this on both my big toenails but results from the samples sent off are normal confused

AnthonyPandy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:53:15

ouryve I first had it after a bad blister that was a bugger to clear up because of where it was on my foot, and shoes all rubbing on it, does it always start with some mild trauma then?

CadburysTastesVileNow Fri 26-Feb-16 22:05:26

Vicks is meant to work (the chest rub stuff). I read it on here, anyway.

It's cheap and cheerful, so nothing to lose ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now