Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrified of doctors appointment because of weight

(14 Posts)
Pretendname1 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:13:25

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow morning, and am so anxious about it.

I have PCOS - diagnosed 15 or so years ago.

Since mid-December, I have been bleeding almost week on week off. I'm used to period every 6 months or so. I have sharp pain in my lower back and abdomen, like severe period pain. I have terrible constipation and feel so run down. My glands are really swollen like i have tonsillitis, but my throat isnt sore - it's just uncomfortable when i swallow. I'm crying all the time.

Worry is, i'm seriously overweight. I had lost almost 2 stone, but has all come back on since Christmas. I'm worried the doctor is going to put everything down to this and i wont be taken seriously.

Help?

Pretendname1 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:54:46

Appointment in an hour...anyone?

LittleCandle Thu 25-Feb-16 07:57:33

Don't want to read and run, but you need to go and get seen. Feeling lousy for months on end is not conducive to weight loss. You need to be firm with the doctor if they start on about your weight and ignore the other symptoms. Write them down before you go and have the list in your hand. Repeat as often as necessary. Say "I am not here about my weight. I am here about..." if they are not listening.

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you.

gamerchick Thu 25-Feb-16 07:57:38

I very much doubt the dr will try to pin all that on you weight. It does sound as if you need to go.

tribpot Thu 25-Feb-16 07:58:21

I don't believe your GP should be able to use your weight as a reason to fob you off. I don't know much about PCOS but I do know that losing weight when you have it is extremely hard - 2 stone is a lot to have gained in 8 weeks, is that also a symptom of PCOS?

Your symptoms sound as if they warrant further investigation. If your GP does say the answer is to lose weight I would ask why this would have caused the prolonged and frequent bleeding and out right ask for a referral.

INeedNewShoes Thu 25-Feb-16 08:08:00

The dr will know enough about pcos to attribute some of your excess weight to it. The fact you're bleeding so much shows that your pcos is not under control and by treating it, which in part will mean you improving your diet/exercise a little, you will start to address your weight.

Thing with pcos is that it makes you more prone to being overweight, but then being overweight makes the pcos worse - vicious circle!

Please don't worry. Your GP will want to help you. Yes, your weight may be mentioned but the focus of the appointment should be your symptoms.

JennyOnAPlate Thu 25-Feb-16 11:11:13

How did you get on pretendname?

I also have pcos and an overweight. I also avoid the doctor at all costs due to the way I've been spoken to three before.

I hope it was ok thanks

FreakinScaryCaaw Thu 25-Feb-16 11:16:48

Best of luck pet.

Don't be fobbed off.

Surely your weight gain can be down to PCOS at least in some part? Make sure you're listened too.

FreakinScaryCaaw Thu 25-Feb-16 11:18:31

Jenny, that's shocking! Spoken to how? They have no right.

You may be able to get free passes for the gym through the nhs and an appointment with a nutritionist if you need it?

Pretendname1 Thu 25-Feb-16 11:26:20

Hi all, thanks for the support.

Saw a lovely doctor today - no mention of weight at all (which has never happened before). I had lost weight following Harcombe, but it's a drop in the ocean really so no-one noticed apart from on my face. In the last month i've been having a horrible time at home, feeling grim from period issues and badly binge eating so most of it has come back. Totally my own fault and i feel disgusted with myself. It's like i'm rebelling.

Anyway, sent for bloods and mention of bowel issues rather than the PCOS stuff I thought it was related to. Much talk of my 'mood' and 'feeling low' but she said will look more at that when get bloods back. Appointment made for 2 weeks time.

tribpot Thu 25-Feb-16 11:35:19

Good news that you didn't get fobbed off.

Very hard to feel positive about controlling diet when you've got so many other issues going on. Any chance you can get out for a walk? Even a short one would get you some sunshine and fresh air.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Pretendname1 Thu 25-Feb-16 11:59:27

I do walk, not loads but a mile each way to work and back 3 times a week and also school pick up etc. Fractured coccyx late last year, so can't do much else at present. Swimming with son every other Sunday too.

Bree85 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:07:18

Don't think like that honey. You need to see the doctor. You need help.

FreakinScaryCaaw Thu 25-Feb-16 19:29:06

Glad it was positive.

You do a fair bit of exercise by the sounds of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now