Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

prickly heat after shower. now I know why. it's not soap etc. have to share suffered for years

(12 Posts)
Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 09:58:56

For years and years every time I had a shower or bath I would get prickly heat. It was awful. Itchy.

Doctors said its soap, shampoo or conditioners. I bought all different ones. No affect.

One day I was staying at friends and I showered, came out and nothing happened. Couldn't work it out.

Went home thought it must of been a fluke. Had another shower. And the prickles started. So what could it be.....

The only thing that was different was I had a hot water tank. She had a combo boiler.

I allergic to lime scale. You get a build up in tanks. So now fitted electric shower and it's a dream no itchy. I can use any products! I love it.

I had to share,

sunwish Wed 24-Feb-16 10:04:31

Oh my god! This used to happen to me when I lived with my in-laws for a while. And now I know why!! You've just solved one of the biggest mysteries in my life. I feel strangely relieved.

sunwish Wed 24-Feb-16 10:06:59

I had read somewhere that it was a sudden change in the temperature of the water, but I knew that couldn't be it. And now I know why I get so itchy when I go to my dad's in England.

MrsJayy Wed 24-Feb-16 10:08:46

My 22yrold gets this we have a new combi though and it's still happening ?

Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 10:09:47

That's why I had to tell people. I was googling it. Never found anything.

Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 10:10:36

When I told doctor he said sometimes hard water can cause problems. So a water softener can help.

MrsJayy Wed 24-Feb-16 11:32:01

We live in a soft water area its a mystery saying that its not been as bad since we moved and a new boiler went in

INeedNewShoes Wed 24-Feb-16 11:35:08

Can I ask you how much it has cost to put the electric shower in?

Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:38:32

Electric shower was £40 from b&q. Plumbed straight into mains.

If you had a boiler change then some pipes may have been replaced. E.g new pipes no lime scale build up.

Doctor said some people can react to the calcium in water. But this was only after years of crap advice from doctor. Only since I said its lime scale does he have wonderful suggestions.

Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:41:40

Sorry should add £40 for shower and £60 for electrician. It sits on tiles so no building works apart from a few drill holes through tiles to fix and connect to electrics. . You can buy expensive ones but mine works brilliantly and was worth it, so worth it. No itches ! grin

INeedNewShoes Wed 24-Feb-16 11:42:08

I'm wondering about doing this. I don't get prickly heat, but I do get a rash after every shower at my place which fades over a few hours.

I'd have to get a plumber to know whether it's possible to plumb it straight into the mains. Currently upstairs my water comes from a cold tank in the loft and hot water cistern in the airing cupboard, but I'm guessing they must be fed by the mains and those pipes may be in the airing cupboard which is just behind the shower.

Food for thought... thanks for sharing!

Murphyslaw21 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:44:57

Any tank will contain lime scale although hot water ones are the worst.

Years of suffering I had to share . You are more than welcome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now