Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hormonal acne and hair loss

(8 Posts)
Jujuheyhey Tue 23-Feb-16 14:15:08

Is anyone else suffering from this? I am 40 and have androgenic alopecia (female pattern hair loss) which is basically the result of having high testosterone levels. It causes my hair to thin and my scalp is showing through. I get facial hair (beard AND moustache - yay!) and bad hormonal acne on my chin for at least half my cycle.

I've been to my GP and got tested for serious things such as PCOD and nothing has come back but I am a bit anaemic so try and boost my iron levels.

Basically there aren't any conventional treatments that work (except 'Regaine' for the hair loss which involves expensive chemicals on my hair twice a day) so I'm trying to improve it by a combination of acupuncture, diet and food supplements. I'm also getting IPL on my facial hair. I've come off hormonal contraception and had a copper coil fitted which has been OK except for heavier periods, which doesn't help with the anaemia but better than having hormonal imbalance, I feel.

It's not ruining my life but it is certainly having a negative and stressful effect (which of course makes the hair shedding worse!!) so I'm trying to be philosophical about it - worse things really are going on in people's lives! But I do look at all my bald aunties and feel a bit devastated that I'm going to look like them one day! sad

If anyone else is going through the same I'd love to hear from you!

redannie118 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:54:56

Hi op im sorry you are going through this. Im not but my sister is, and she got so fed up of it she thought "stuff it " shaved her head and bought two really good quality real hair wigs. She looks beautiful and totally natural when she has them on and as she stopped stressing about her hair it grew back ! Which ever path you take I hope you are getting support, best of luck !

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-Feb-16 16:01:03

What hormone levels were tested and on which days for PCOS?. What were your results initially, was it ruled out on such a basis?. PCOS is an individualistic disorder that does affect each woman with it very differently.

If your periods are still heavy post the coil I would be asking for a referral to a gynae; the cause needs to be properly determined.

Camembertie Tue 23-Feb-16 16:10:19

I am absolutely with you and found hair fibres amazing. Whilst they don't cover all the bald they do stop it being so shiny and thus less noticeable.

Given my maternal family line it's inevitable and will only accelerate now I've hit 40 sad

I react badly to hormonal contraception so just have o grit teeth and get on but some pills are supposed to slow down loss

Jujuheyhey Wed 24-Feb-16 07:57:00

Thanks for the replies all!

Wow redannie, your sister is very brave! I'm so pleased that worked for her but don't think I am at that stage yet.

Attila, it was a couple of years ago I got checked and I don't know that level of detail bc I didn't think to ask. My periods weren't heavy before the coil but they are heavier now (not alarmingly so just more than I'm used to as I had pretty easy periods). I'm happy with the coil as don't want to go back on the hormones either, like canetine says.

My acupuncturist has given me a 'plum blossom hammer' which is basically 7 tiny needles in a little round thing set with a handle and I have to bosh my head with it for 3 minutes a day to stimulate the scalp! It's quite pleasurable in a strange way. I've only been doing it a couple of months and it can take a while so going to stick with it for now.

I've also ordered some Agnus Castus and omega-3 supplements as have read they both have anti-androgenic properties, to help with suppressing the testosterone. Fingers crossed...

Jujuheyhey Wed 24-Feb-16 07:58:11

*camembertie! Not sure what on earth I was going for there! blush

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Feb-16 08:15:00

You really now need up to date test results; anything done over 6 months ago should be discounted. I think its a distinct possibility that PCOS is the root cause of your hirsuitism but the cause anyway needs to be properly determined.

I would look into seeking the counsel of a properly qualified medical herbalist rather than self medicating with agnus castus. AC can in some cases make underlying hormonal problems a lot worse.

Jujuheyhey Wed 24-Feb-16 19:37:55

Thanks Attila, I'll look into that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now