Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do you find a consultant / surgeon for a specific problem?

(10 Posts)
MissTeriName Sat 20-Feb-16 23:52:16

My 80 year old Mother has a specific spinal problem that is causing great chronic pain and reducing her mobility drastically. She's getting worse by the day. This is causing my vibrant, formerly very active Mum to change almost beyond recognition sad

Sadly, her local GP is unhelpful (to say the least) so she can't get treatment apart from Ibuprofen and paracetamol. He says that 'at her age' this is just the way it will have to be.

I think she could go private, but I don't know how the system works. (I'm overseas). Do you find a consultant (how?) and book an appointment? Or are there hoops to jump through?

I can't bear to hear her so down - just a few years ago she was climbing mountains! Please advise.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 20-Feb-16 23:56:17

Google the consultants for your area

MissTeriName Sun 21-Feb-16 00:09:34

Yeah, done that. Her specific issue is only stated by a consultant in London. But I guess others could do the procedure even if they don't state it.

Does she have to be referred by her useless GP?

SparklesandBangs Sun 21-Feb-16 00:10:13

If you know the name of your local private hospital their website will give details of all the consultants and their specialities. However although I pick my own I have always needed a referral from my GP.

MissTeriName Sun 21-Feb-16 00:13:39

Thank you, Sparkles. I'll start a new search and game plan then.

Wolfiefan Sun 21-Feb-16 00:14:47

Can you vaguely say where she is?

MissTeriName Sun 21-Feb-16 00:19:06

South of England.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 21-Feb-16 09:32:49

You don't have to be referred if you're paying yourself but if your insurance is paying then yes
Is it a very specific speciality? Maybe it's worth coming to London if it's the right consultant?
What's the expertise? Spinal injuries?

PollyPerky Sun 21-Feb-16 13:47:40

If you are south east then I suggest you look at the websites of some of the top London hospitals (private) to get a handle on who could be the best person to treat her.

For example, King Edward 7, London or the Lister, Chelsea.

You can search for a consultant on their websites by selecting the condition or the area of the body. So for your mum it might be an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist. You will find their contact details on the website (some consultants work across several hospitals) so you then phone their personal secretary who will tell you a) if your mum needs a GP referral letter which does apply sometimes even if the patient is self-funding and b) how much the initial appt will cost and c) the dr's waiting list.

Private medicine is a bit like shopping for everything- you are the customer so don't be frightened to ask questions and choose the best person.

Good luck!

MissTeriName Thu 25-Feb-16 21:19:24

Thank you.

I found some options close to her. I thought if I could find someone nearby she would be more amenable to sorting it out. But she's absolutely refusing to be treated (hates doctors) and is of the generational mindset that she will 'just put up with it'. sad Frustrating as hell, but I can't force her. I'll keep nagging though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now