Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i think i had a gallstone blockage last night

(6 Posts)
anyoldname76 Sat 20-Feb-16 08:53:28

im self diagnosing thanks to google so i could be completely wrong.

i woke up in severe pain at about 330 this morning, the pain was unbearable and kept coming in waves, almost like contractions, i was sweating and each time i felt so sick, the pain was in between my belly button and ribs.

it started to ease off around an hour ago, but i still feel really tender.

Ive never had anything like this before, does this sound like gallstones?

sadie9 Sun 21-Feb-16 00:21:52

I had this before a few times, when I started having stomach acid problems. I would get it a few hours after eating a lot of meat for dinner, esp pork. I would take motilium and paracetamol and that helped. The food is pushed along in waves so that's why stomach related issues are in waves like that.

Rearoftheyear Sun 21-Feb-16 01:18:20

Had you taken any medication which included codeine?

VimFuego101 Sun 21-Feb-16 01:39:56

Was the pain on one side?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 21-Feb-16 02:09:13

You should go see your GP. It could be gallstones but equally it might be something else entirely. Gallstone symptoms tend to be to the upper right area but when I got one stuck in my bile duct it was misdiagnosed as a problem with my stomach as it was more central. The pain wasn't in waves either, more constant. You'll need an ultrasound to get confirmation that it is gallstones if that's what it is. What you describe does sound very like what I experienced but I was then quite violently sick before I felt better.

Go to your GP and ask them what they think, then hopefully you'll get the ultrasound to confirm one way or another.

UptownFlunk Sun 21-Feb-16 02:49:18

When I had a gallbladder blockage (was so bad I was rushed into hospital and had my gallbladder removed the next day) the pain was constant, it never came in waves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now