Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PIP Assessment

(14 Posts)
mumblesdad Fri 19-Feb-16 22:06:30

I've just been given a date to go to a pip assessment after having received DLA for 9 years. After reading all the scary threads about the assessors would you ask for it to be recorded?

andthenthereweretwo Sat 20-Feb-16 16:14:43

Why would you want to do that? Incase they misinterpret what you're saying?

mumblesdad Sun 21-Feb-16 15:22:10

The internet seems full of assessors not listening to clients and assessors deliberately inputting false data to keep number of claims down.

GothyGeisha Sun 21-Feb-16 18:15:28

I wish I had recorded my daughters, the report was so twisted compared to what actually happened.

andthenthereweretwo Sun 21-Feb-16 18:56:32

I'm a PIP assessor and the training is all about listening and recording clients story correctly so I'm hmm at this.

potap123 Sun 21-Feb-16 19:02:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblesdad Sun 21-Feb-16 21:43:57

Thanks for the replies. My initial and perhaps main concern is that my condition/disability is such that there are very bad days, bad days and ok days..
On a very bad day I can't really get out of bed, a bad day means I can move around on crutches and a good/ok day is without crutches. If I do too much on a good/ok day then I can easily overdo it and the next day is a very bad day.

I have kept a work and personal diary for the last six months and in a typical month there are 14 very bad days , 8 bad days and 8 good days.

My concern is that they will only take the good days into account and decide I don't qualify for Pip when I've been on dla full mobility and low care for last 9 years

lilygirl81 Sun 21-Feb-16 21:56:51

One thing I would say is double check what the assessor types. In my assessment she phrased things in certain ways which made it look like they were insignificant, for example saying I enjoyed watching TV in bed, when I had said I was often bed bound and due to having to lie completely flat ended up spending most of my time watching rubbish on my tablet.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 21-Feb-16 21:59:31

You can't have a pip assessment recorded unless you bring your own tape to tape recorder and you tell them in advance.
They cost approx £800.

mumblesdad Wed 16-Mar-16 20:38:58

I've just had my assessment report. I was pretty annoyed after the interview thinking that the assessor didn't really listen to me and definitely put words in my mouth.. I decided though that I would wait to see what the result was.

I was expecting the worst today, when the letter arrived but was very surprised on reading the report that the assessor had totally listened to everything I had mentioned and although I still think the assessor led my replies, virtually everything I had said was recorded.

The end result was that for at least the next three years I keep the enhanced Mobility rate and the lowest care rate has increased to just below the medium rate which was a surprise.

It may well be that I have been very lucky but I'm glad that for now at least, it's over for a while as it did give me a few sleepless nights.

andthenthereweretwo Wed 16-Mar-16 21:50:03

Good to hear a positive story.

andthenthereweretwo Wed 16-Mar-16 22:03:17

Out of interest mumbles can I ask what your conditions are? 😀

mumblesdad Thu 17-Mar-16 10:34:16

Chronic arthritis, both knees and both ankles need operations and even after those ops, mobility will be severely limited. Diagnosis is that the arthritis will only get worse. Pain is a massive factor but as it is with the mobility there are good and bad days, but bad days outweigh the good by at least 3-1

andthenthereweretwo Thu 17-Mar-16 16:56:55

I'm glad you scored high enough to get an award, makes total sense. Glad you got mobility too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now