Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prolonged Period

(15 Posts)
HermioneRuby1 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:32:59

I've had an extremely long bleed this month of a total of 17 days, on day 14 at my wits end I made a Drs appt especially as I had suffered tiredness and headaches which I presumed was linked. Earliest appt available was today and the Dr basically asked me how many partners I have had to which I answered one my husband of 16 years then said come back if it it happens again. I do have PCOS diagnosed prior to having my two children but I've never had a symptom like this before (I'm not regular but do have a cycle and it can be heavy, though never this long).
She did examine my tummy but didn't say whether it felt OK or not and then asked if I was sure I didn't want to be tested for an STD. To which I answered no thank you that's not necessary!
I'm none the wiser and don't feel I was listened to so I was hoping maybe someone has had a similar prolonged period and duscovered what it was.
I have recently lost a stone since Christmas and wondered if that might have caused it?
Or wondered if it could be perimenapause?
Anyone got any advice?
Thanks in advanceconfused

HermioneRuby1 Sat 20-Feb-16 08:11:07

Anyonesad

MadauntofA Sat 20-Feb-16 08:25:23

Hi, my periods changed, I lost weight and felt awful - turned out it was my thyroid. If your period seems to be stopping then see how you feel over the next few weeks and if you get a similarly long one, go back to your GP and ask for some blood tests. Ibuprofen can reduce flow if it is really heavy.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-Feb-16 09:08:10

I would now a different GP (the one you saw before was unhelpful to say the least) and request a referral to a gynaecologist. This type of issue is well outside a GPs usual remit. You should be checked further by a gynae to establish the underlying cause; fibroids for instance can cause prolonged and heavy bleeding. It all warrants further investigation because prolonged bleeding could make you anaemic as well.

HermioneRuby1 Sat 20-Feb-16 12:23:18

Thank you both. I will remember ibroprofen next time around. I have been for a run this morning and noticed a bit of spotting so it's not quite done yet but I think I will wait it out and go back. I know GP's have to ask these things but I was a little offended when she mentioned it a second time. Perhaps I was feeling a little sensitive after a 3 week long period.

ibelieveinangels Sat 20-Feb-16 19:27:23

I have pcos and I have had periods last 4/5 weeks. They not always heavy but just hang around for ages. I was told by the doctor this is normal with this condition.was yours heavy the whole time?

HermioneRuby1 Sat 20-Feb-16 23:55:48

It wasn't heavy the whole time no ibelieveinangels, mostly very light just as you say hanging around.
I did wonder if it was a PCOS thing, despite not having that symptom before I guess I thought the symptoms may change as I get older.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 21-Feb-16 00:05:13

I had this and it used to happen over winter, once I had a period for three months straight.

Dr's response was to try and put me on the progesterone only pill. Altho I had no need for contraceptives.

When I insisted she sent me for tests, a scan which was not helpful and then I ended up having a hysteroscopy.

They couldn't find anything.

I was put on tra examine acid and also progesterone to stop the bleeding immediately.

Later I fell ill with something else and a different gp sent me for loads of tests I was anaemic (no shit Sherlock), and also I had very very low vitamin D. I was prescribed very high vitamin D dosage for a few months and then put on a slightly lower dose (forever pretty much). And that seems to have actually regulated my periods too.

I'm thirty eight and this happened four years ago.

Hasn't happened since thankfully.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 21-Feb-16 00:06:21

Tranexamic acid (stupid autocorrect)

HermioneRuby1 Sun 21-Feb-16 00:25:45

That's really interesting and helpful. I have been googling herbal remedies and was thinking of trying evening primrose thinking it may help balance my hormones and iron as I know that I have felt rotten all week with headaches and tiredness. It shouldn't hurt to boost my vitamin intake. I did think the Dr might have done blood tests at the very least to check these things tbh.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Sun 21-Feb-16 00:26:33

I had this before christmas, it stopped all by itself once christmas day was over, could you be stressed?

AlpacaLypse Sun 21-Feb-16 00:32:15

Hermione you haven't mentioned your age but if you've been married for 16 years I imagine you're somewhere in your forties?

HermioneRuby1 Sun 21-Feb-16 00:32:30

I wouldn't say any more stressed than normal, though I am always busy and have my moments. I have changed my diet for the better and lost a stone since Christmas and did wonder about that. I hit 40 in November so also wondered if it was an age thing not menopause as such but just my body is getting older! I think if it happens again I need to go back to Drs and insist on test/referral.

HermioneRuby1 Sun 21-Feb-16 00:34:35

Yes 40 AlpacaLypse

ISpeakJive Mon 22-Feb-16 12:40:54

Hermione, I have a very similar issue going on! Am 38 and have had two children. My period is pretty regular but it 'hangs' around for nearly two weeks. It's almost like my uterus doesn't contract enough to get rid of it completely.
I did go to the GP and he told me that it could be fibroid or polyp. He didn't seem too worried but have been referred for a scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now