Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any physios around? Rotator cuff injury not getting better

(6 Posts)
QuickSticks Fri 19-Feb-16 16:40:04

I injured my arm somehow last summer. I had been exercising but there wasn't a definite ouch moment, just the realization when laying on my left side in bed that my left arm felt bruised on the side of the upper arm. Eventually I self referred to our physio service at work and started exercises. They unfortunately stopped abruptly in September when my DF was taken very ill and I spent the next 6 weeks at his bedside in hospital.

The pain never really went and so in January I started attending physio again and was given a new set of exercises.

The pain is definitely getting worse/stiffer and although my shoulder is painful I find my upper arm is getting worse with random shooting/stabbing pains that are sometimes excruciating. I find it difficult to move my arm behind my back to do up my bra but I can lift it straight up in the air so it's not frozen but there is pain.

I'm trying to get another physio appointment sorted but my physio is off sick at the moment. I want to give the exercises the best possible chance of working before I go to see my GP.

Any suggestions?

mayhew Fri 19-Feb-16 16:45:39

I have this! I ignored it for months and it got worse.

I have seen a private physio three times and I'm already much better. He carefully assessed it and gave me exercises. He also did some(very painful ) massage that released the spasming muscles. I carry on with the stretches and its continuing to improve.

QuickSticks Fri 19-Feb-16 16:55:23

Do you get the shooting pains as well? I didn't initially but christ they hurt! I've been really good, doing the exercises every day for the last 6 weeks but there's been no improvement at all sad

mayhew Fri 19-Feb-16 17:22:20

Yes I did, right down to the elbow joint. Sudden movements made me whimper! I think it was the muscle spasm that caused it.

PollyPerky Fri 19-Feb-16 17:47:26

DH had this trouble very badly- so bad he couldn't drive almost /change gear.

He found physio useless (and made no difference) and the long term solution for him was to exercise at a gym, building up the shoulder and upper arm muscles. This prevents the problem occurring and actually sorts it out.

There is a book called The Supple Leopard written by a dr and it shows how to do lots of exercises for these kinds of issues- it's a bestseller.

Blueberry234 Sat 20-Feb-16 06:32:20

The pain whilst doing up your bra sounds like you may have an impingement . I had mine surgically decompressed I would be asking for referral to orthos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now