Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Children's or adult toothpaste?

(7 Posts)
BossWitch Thu 18-Feb-16 19:46:09

Anyone with dental knowledge about?

DD (21 months) had her first dental appointment today, dentist advised to switch from the children's toothpaste I've been using for her to an adult one, needs to have 1400 fluoride count or higher as no fluoride in the water where we live. But having looked at her children's toothpaste tonight it is 1000 fluoride and says that it is specifically formulated to be low fluoridend for the teething stage - so which is it? Does she need high or low fluoride?! So confused!

Also, our toothpaste is whitening, I'm assuming she can't use that? Dentist didn't mention it and I forgot to ask. I don't want to mess up her teeth!

RueDeWakening Thu 18-Feb-16 19:48:41

Not sure re the fluoride, but our dentist advised moving onto bog standard Colgate Total or similar when going onto adult toothpaste.

LucyMouse Thu 18-Feb-16 19:51:43

My dentist friend said yes to adult toothpaste with the high fluoride content as you say, but no to whitening toothpaste.

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 19:55:38

No don't use whitening toothpaste for her. All we are told in Scotland is to use a toothpaste with a minimum 1000ppm fluoride for babies and children under 3 and to use a toothpaste between 1000ppm and 1500ppm from age 3. It doesn't matter whether it's marketed for adults or children as long as it has enough fluoride in it

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 19:56:21

We also don't have fluoride in our water

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 20:03:21

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Careofkidsteeth.aspx - gives some advice too

BossWitch Thu 18-Feb-16 20:06:57

Great, thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now