Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bowel symptoms - scared

(13 Posts)
spacechimp Thu 18-Feb-16 16:48:03

GP has referred me after a few visits over the last few months, and I've got a hospital appointment at GI clinic in mid March, so am in the system, but am worried. 41, and history of IBS. Had flexi sigmoidoscopy in 2005 - all ok - but now suffering from different combination of symptoms and getting myself into a state. I also suffer quite badly from health anxiety so that's not helping.

IBS has settled over the last few years and only odd flare ups, but I had a gastro virus last July which really messed my system up, and I've suffered from episodes of nausea, belching, stomach aches, odd episodes of diarrhoea, and a lot of excess gas and trapped wind. Most of this has subsided now, and not had any episodes of diarrhoea for months, but I'm still getting excess gas, and rumbling and gurgling guts.
I can cope with all this, as I've experienced similar symptoms before, but at the end of October I had an episode of rectal bleeding. Again, I've had this on and off for years, usually due to a chronic anal fissure that occasionally opens up. I think this is what caused the bleed this time, as it was after a hard bowel movement and it felt sore. But I went to the GP because of the other IBS type problems. I was really hoping it would obviously be the fissure or piles, but she did a digital exam and couldn't feel anything.

A few days after that I started having feelings of incomplete evacuation and fullness, and ended up straining. These symptoms haven't been present every day, but I've had them on and off since November. I do get the urge to go, and can pass really long poos, but sometimes I really have to push, and it often feels incomplete, and I'm constantly aware of a full feeling. The continued problems with trapped wind and gas don't help, and I've also had continued soreness and anal pain and it can sometimes feel really tight. GP referred me for blood tests (including coeliac, ESR, full blood count, thyroid, vit deficiencies, liver and kidney function etc) and all came back ok. Was supposed to get referral to GI clinic before now, but it never went through and I've had to chase it. Went back to GP at the end of Jan for the soreness and painful feeling and she did another digital exam but again couldn't feel anything and can only see a huge skin tag (from the fissure) that I've had for years.

I am just really worried that it's something sinister, and the symptoms are being caused by a tumour. I know there are probably lots of things it could be, but I am so aware of it all the time, and very stressed about it. I drink lots of water, exercise a lot, eat enough fruit and veg, pulses etc, don't eat meat, and so don't think it can be constipation. Not given birth, no piles that I know of, and no bleeding since that one episode in October, and I have been checking dementedly for any signs of blood since then.

Can anyone help to calm me down, suggest non-sinister causes, had anything similar? Sorry this is so long

EnidB Thu 18-Feb-16 18:47:35

Hi. It is great you have been referred, there is only so much a GP can investigate and rule out. I ended up getting a colonoscopy, which wasn't a bundle of laughs but quite interesting! The consultant was able to rule out anything scary, bit did suggest I do some reading around IBS. He actually recommended cutting back on fruit, something about the fibre and the speed it goes through you.
Have a look at FODMAP - there are some useful ideas for cutting out foods that bloat you, or some of the other symptoms you mention. It is scary and your imagination will run wild, but you are going in the right direction. Try reading the FODMAP stuff, it makes a lot of sense

LionsLedge Thu 18-Feb-16 18:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacechimp Thu 18-Feb-16 21:33:19

Thanks for replying. I had the blood test for coeliac disease in November and it was negative. Have read about SIBO and it does sound like a possibility but not been offered the test. I will definitely ask about it.

Also read about FODMAP but should look into that more carefully. I had a lot of problems with IBS in 2004-5 which I eventually resolved through dietary changes and a nutritionist. This was mostly diarrhoea based IBS and I ended up getting a sigmoidoscopy. I only investigated diet once I knew nothing terrible was going on

The excess gas I can kind of deal with. It's just that I've never had the feelings of fullness and straining until recently so am more worried because they are new to me and not typical of what I know as IBS for me sad
I am just aware of it all the time and I am getting v stressed about it

Simmi1 Fri 19-Feb-16 09:20:48

could it be an infection? Have you had a stool test done? It doesn't sound like anything sinister - most of the time these things aren't. I'm 40 and have no history of ibs but suddenly started getting severe ibs symptoms 5 months ago post childbirth. I haven't got to bottom of it yet. Good luck OP!

EnidB Sun 06-Mar-16 08:49:47

Hi spacechimp your GI appointment must be coming up soon. Just wanted to say good luck! Did any of the FODMAP stuff help?

lozwil Sun 06-Mar-16 19:07:41

Good luck I am having similar issues to you, I have GI appointment at the end of March (was referred in Dec) and I have driven myself mad with all the worry fingers crossed we will get to the bottom of the issue and it won't be anything serious x

80schild Mon 07-Mar-16 12:47:47

Have you been tested for crohn's? I am actually about to start a thread about this, because I am having a really bad time of it today. Symptoms sound very familiar and because it is not strictly speaking autoimmune disease it won't show up on conventional tests.

lozwil Mon 07-Mar-16 18:35:10

80schild do they test for crohns via colonoscopy? Good luck I hope you find out what is wrong soon and it is easily sorted x

gobbin Mon 07-Mar-16 22:18:38

Crohns can be disgnosed via a range of methods and a few are used together to be sure. Mine was diagnosed with faecal calprotectin and barium enema/follow through. Now they use the faecal calprotectin, colonoscopy, and /or CT scans typically.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 07-Mar-16 22:22:22

Have you been checked for a prolapse of the rectum? I don't think it explains all of your symptoms, but certainly could explain some of them.

80schild Tue 08-Mar-16 01:08:08

Lozwil - in the early stages. My GP said she wants to rule out other causes first (infection), but she thinks it is IBD causing a lot of my symptoms . Your symptoms sound a bit similar to mine.

Simmi1 Tue 08-Mar-16 02:22:14

Hi OP, I'm in a similar situation although no rectal bleeding and no history of IBS. My stool test showed a parasite called blastocystis which is really common and can cause severe ibs symptoms in some people but is harmless in others. Problem is it can be quite resistant but place in Sydney (CDD) has developed aggressive ways to treat it. May be worth looking out for? Please keep us informed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now