Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tampon uncomfortable after birth

(19 Posts)
PebbleTTC Tue 16-Feb-16 01:26:14

Hi I had my baby almost 7 months ago and got my first period this week. Iv always used tampons but now it just feels very uncomfortable, almost like I can feel them or it doesn't fit right. Has anyone else had this problem?

insertwittyusernamehereplease Tue 16-Feb-16 04:20:32

Hi,

I found them uncomfortable after my first, but persevered for nearly 5 years. After the birth of my second 6 months ago, I bought a diva cup. Way more comfortable, I don't know it's there most of the time. I think the bulk and dryness of tampons bothered me. I'll never go back to them now.

BettyBi0 Tue 16-Feb-16 05:09:13

I had probs using tampons when my periods finally returned after DC1. C-section birth so I couldn't work out why. Then I went for a smear test and it was so crazy painful the nurse couldn't take a sample. She explained that some women get vaginal atrophy from the hormone changes (? Low estrogen?) of extended breastfeeding. BTW this was almost 1 year post birth which I wouldn't class as 'extended' anything. Anyhoo... Yeah, vaginal atrophy here... Joy!

Quodlibet Tue 16-Feb-16 05:14:50

I can't use applicator tampons anymore - they go all long and I can feel them at the entrance end of my vagina. Non-applicator are more comfortable as they expand width-wise - but I'd also recommend a menstrual cup.

jobrum Tue 16-Feb-16 05:17:51

One year after here and still struggle with tampons. I do have little bits of scar tissue inside which I think is probably to blame. Am also still bfing. Just looked up vaginal atrophy, that has cheered me up then!

PebbleTTC Tue 16-Feb-16 06:24:38

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad it's not just me!

cedricsneer Tue 16-Feb-16 08:52:16

Yup, me too. Sex and tampons very painful for 2 years after dc3 (bf for 2 years). All fine now that all hormones have subsided.

unimaginativename13 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:43:47

Mine just fall out hmm

PebbleTTC Tue 16-Feb-16 12:03:27

Can't believe Iv not heard about this from friends or seen online! Do people not talk about it or are we just in the minority?

whatevva Tue 16-Feb-16 12:07:57

Mine used to fall out. It got better after a couple of years of pelvic floors, but I used to have to take them out after about 3 hours because they were not comfortable. I have had a posterior repair that included a perineal rebuild and they stay in now. grin

hollinhurst84 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:40:39

Stupid question but have you tried a different brand? Tampax are horrendously uncomfy for me but I use liilets applicator ones and they're fine. Tampax seem to expand lengthways

PebbleTTC Tue 16-Feb-16 17:46:27

No I didn't think to try a different brand! I was going to pop down to boots when small fella goes to sleep and buy mooncup but maybe I should try the liilets

Wolfiefan Tue 16-Feb-16 17:49:30

I can't use Tampax. Ever since I had my first nearly 13 years ago. I can feel them.
So now I have to try and find non bloody stinking pads. Grrrrrr.

hollinhurst84 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:53:09

I can and do use a mooncup too but find the liilets applicator ones really comfy

slebmum1 Tue 16-Feb-16 18:25:15

I can rise them anymore either. Lilets non applicator are ok if I have to buy can't use tampax. I have no idea why - had an emcs!

FatimaLovesBread Tue 16-Feb-16 18:31:01

I also can't use tampax anymore as I can feel them like they're going to fall out. I find Lillet with applicators much better

Lightbulbon Tue 16-Feb-16 18:31:42

Try a moon cup

Quodlibet Tue 16-Feb-16 20:33:29

^^ that's at least 5 of us complaining of Tampax expanding lengthways and ending up uncomfortable. So maybe it's the product that's at fault, not our fannies!

TheFairyCaravan Tue 16-Feb-16 20:37:10

I'm another that can't use Tampax since I had my children. They end up lengthways on me, too. Lil lets are fine, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now