Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

No more periods after endometrial ablation - freaking out.

(22 Posts)
Whatsthematterwithme Mon 15-Feb-16 18:23:05

I had an endometrial ablation last year and since then I haven't had my period. A quick search on Google and I read that I am unable to get pregnant and even if, a pregnancy is risky for me and the baby. I am really freaking out as the doctor did not mention this at all before the procedure.

Please tell me that's not right. I am 25 and I really want to have children in the future.

NickNacks Mon 15-Feb-16 18:28:24

I think you need to see your GP.

It's not a procedure usually advised for those if you want more children so I'm not sure why you were a suitable candidate. So sorry.

WipsGlitter Mon 15-Feb-16 18:28:41

Really?? I've been discussing this with my GP for heavy periods and she was saying it would also stop me having more children (which I'm fine with).

I'm stunned they would do this procedure on someone as young as you.

Onsera3 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:30:27

I've had endometrial ablation and incision. I've had two kids. One IVF and one natural after that.

I DID get my period after both procedures though it was lighter.

I was referred to an obstetrician by midwife at both booking in appointments. But they didn't consider me high risk and I was allowed to have midwife led natural births.

However, during my pregnancy last year, the advice was published that endometriosis causes high risk pregnancies.

You should ask to find out why you're not getting your period- blood tests, scans etc

Onsera3 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:34:00

Ok sorry I've misunderstood.

My surgeon has used ablation and incision to treat endometriosis.

This isn't the same as 'endometrial ablation'.

Ablation for me was used OUTSIDE the uterus- ie where the endometrium shouldn't have been growing.

barleysugar Mon 15-Feb-16 18:34:57

I was offered this but told it would be the end of my child rearing days. I declined as I'm 36 and couldn't consider not ever having more children.

I'm amazed you weren't told about this prior to the procedure, especially when they consented you!

Whatsthematterwithme Mon 15-Feb-16 18:36:16

Thanks for your quick replies. I had to have the procedure as I had lots of 'old lining' and it caused me a lot of pain. My gynaecologist recommended the treatment for it.

Cocolepew Mon 15-Feb-16 18:36:35

Your womb lining can grow back but whether you would be able to have children then I dont know.
I was told at the time I was getting it because my family was complete.

madwomanacrosstheroad Mon 15-Feb-16 20:36:47

You will need to speak to your gp / hospital consultant. They should have given you enough information to make an informed decision about your treatment and possible long term effects.

ArabellaRockerfella Mon 15-Feb-16 21:06:30

I had an ablation last year and was told it was not suitable if I wanted more children! I too have not had a period since the procedure. You can get pregnant as you are still ovulating but it can be dangerous for you and baby. Did you have a full ablation of the whole of your womb lining or do you think they just zapped small areas? I do hope you haven't been misinformed of your options, this would be negligent on their part. Do you still have copy of your consent form?

Whatsthematterwithme Mon 15-Feb-16 21:24:05

Yes, I still have the copy but not here (I moved abroad and my belongings don't arrive until the end of this month). No, they removed the lining and also found a uterine fibroid while doing so.

PollyPerky Mon 15-Feb-16 22:04:56

Whats I'm a bit wary of contradicting you...but did you really have an emblation? Looking at what you have posted- removal of 'old lining' it sounds more as if you have had a D&C (dilation and curettage) which is a fairly standard and old fashioned method used to sort out all kinds of gynae issues.

It only removes the lining and doesn't stop it growing back. If you have had problems before and now you have no periods that sounds like a hormonal issue.

What exactly were your symptoms?

An emblation is used for really heavy periods as a last resort after using drugs and something like the Mirena coil.

Any chance you've got it wrong?

PollyPerky Mon 15-Feb-16 22:05:52

sorry- 'ablation'!

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 16-Feb-16 07:40:49

Actually, a D&C can sometimes cause the same issues as an ablation, which is essentially Ashermans Syndrome (knows from bitter experience).
Look I am sorry to be blunt, but there's no way you should have been given an ablation if you still wanted children. Were you in the UK?
If you had surgery on your uterus and since then you have no periods, it's not a hormonal issue, it's Ashermans Syndrome, I'd bet anything. You need to see a gynaecologist and one who is experienced in dealing with Ashermans syndrome.

PollyPerky Tue 16-Feb-16 08:11:49

I don't think we can say it's Ashermans. This is rare and happens more after a really 'thorough' D&C for miscarriages etc.

The OP says her lining was building up so that suggests she has hormonal issues anyway with perhaps irregular periods.

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 16-Feb-16 13:53:31

It's not rare actually. Happens in up to 30% of d and c's after miscarriage/ retained products. The risk is lower in people not recently pregnant. And the aim of endometrial ablation is actually to cause iatrogenic ashermans.

PollyPerky Tue 16-Feb-16 14:38:08

About 30-40 years ago, a D&C was par for the course for any gynae investigation, before they had ultrasound that gave good images.

It was routine.

I had one at 24 (more than 30 years ago) as part of the treatment for a cervical erosion. There was no real need I now understand but it was just something that was 'done' as a kind of belt and braces approach to anything gynae. Thankfully techniques have moved on.

I was never told there was any risk at all. I had a normal period later the same month.

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 16-Feb-16 14:44:03

That's the problem, it wasn't until fairly recently recognised as a complication. Research shows that it very much is. Lots of people do have normal periods after, but some (myself included) don't, like with any complication.

lougle Tue 16-Feb-16 15:14:24

That's unsettling. All NHS leaflets I've ever read state
"It is also not suitable for women who may want to have children in the future,
because it reduces fertility and makes pregnancy dangerous for you. You must continue using
contraception after this operation." Or something similar.

whatevva Tue 16-Feb-16 15:24:45

Wow - scary about the D&Cs. I had one after miscarriage, and they seemed to give them to everyone who was in the gynae ward, whatever they had come in for!!! (That is also when I learned that if you go in hospital for anything gynae, take sanitary towels, even if you don't think you need them).

If it was the result of a D&C, then you need to see the GP. It might be caused by hormonal problems that lead you to needing the D&C though.

If it was ablation, then it was probably not the right op hmm but in the uk, they will normally try lots of other things first. So you need to see the GP to clarify what it was you had done.

Kirriemuir Wed 17-Feb-16 08:58:03

You need to see your GP. I had a failed EA which resulted in a hysterectomy. I was spoken to several times that an EA meant no more children. You need to be sure about the procedure done.

ilovewelshrarebit123 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:06:29

You definately need to see your GP. I was also told ablation would mean no more children.

I hope it's something else you've had done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now