Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

really annoying sinuses

(14 Posts)
recyclingbag Sun 14-Feb-16 20:57:13

I had sinusitis and tonsillitis before Christmas and some hefty antibiotics.

My sinuses are still giving me grief. I don't feel like I have a cold,but feel like there's something permanently between the back of my nose and the back of my throat. Slightly sore throat, horrible taste in my mouth.

What can I do? I've tried lemsip that doesn't make a difference. I'm trying Vicks tonight.

Anything else? Do I need to go back to the doctors?

bobs123 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:07:36

Have you tried a nasal rinse? My doctor told me to do this for my sinuses. Make a solution of 1tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda mixed with about ½ pt cooled boiled water. Then, using a syringe over a sink inhale it up each nostril in turn. I think something called a netty (?) pot can be used. It's not pleasant to begin with, and drips out the other nostril, but gives your sinuses a good sluice out.

recyclingbag Sun 14-Feb-16 21:17:05

I'm willing to try anything!

Does it work even though it's not in my nose but at the back?

bobs123 Mon 15-Feb-16 02:31:27

It will help flush out your sinuses. I don't know whether it will actually work for you but no harm trying. You can also get polyps in your sinuses too I believe. I was a long term sinus sufferer - over 15 years. Mine caused headaches between my eyes. I took prescription nasal spray, had an MRI, sinus flushes etc. I blow my nose now a lot more than I used to, which helps. I also bend over with my head down if I feel them getting blocked. I don't get it so much now, but do get vertigo instead. It's all related.

iamEarthymama Mon 15-Feb-16 02:47:16

I second the sinus rinse, it really helps as does this massage

If you don't already, try to sleep with your bedroom window open.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon

ABitBemusedToday Mon 15-Feb-16 02:48:59

Be careful with the sinus rinse, a women died from meningitis because she failed to use cooled boiled water or salt. It has to be very clean.

ABitBemusedToday Mon 15-Feb-16 02:53:04

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120823091050.htm

Want2bSupermum Mon 15-Feb-16 03:08:40

I'm in the New York area and the air is bone dry. Sinus problems are very common and most popular treatment is the netipot. They also sell the salt, although you can just make your own.

It's important you follow the directions and throw it out after 3 months. I use the microwave sterilizer bags for baby bottles to keep it clean.

whatdoIget Mon 15-Feb-16 04:13:45

I don't think you're meant to actually inhale the water, because that might mean it gets into your lungs, which is obviously quite dangerous.
I've just had a quick look at sinus rinse instructions and it says to lock the back of your throat by holding your breath
Please DO NOT inhale water

Whosthemummy16 Mon 15-Feb-16 04:51:18

There is also a sea salt spray called sterimar that I was recommended by my surgeon after sinus surgery. Always helps me when I have sinus problems.
Hot and cold compresses onto my face also help.

iamEarthymama Mon 15-Feb-16 10:02:02

I saw a consultant who recommended the sinus rinse
It really isn't dangerous, honestly

whatdoIget Mon 15-Feb-16 11:35:04

iamEarthymama I was just saying it would be dangerous to actually inhale the water, as suggested by a pp, rather than just rinsing

recyclingbag Mon 15-Feb-16 12:11:42

Thank you everyone. I've bought some Sudafed. I'm going to give that a try today but if it's not feeling better by this evening, then I'll give the salt water at try.

Sounds horrible though!

MrsPinotGrigio Mon 15-Feb-16 21:04:47

I suffer with my sinuses as I have a compromised immune system. My GP recommended a sinus rinse as he doesn't want to prescribe steroid nasal sprays indefinitely. I bought a Neilmed starter kit from Amazon for about £12 & it really helped. I use it once a week now & it does make a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now