Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

faecal incontinence - what help is there?

(10 Posts)
nibblingfingernails Sun 14-Feb-16 20:23:27

I have had this problem now for just over 2 years since I had a rectocele repair. We are not talking great lumps (sorry TMI) but just enough to wipe away every time I go to the toilet to pass urine. I have had several tests done and its been agreed that I do have a problem with nerve damage and can get some help. The procedure that was offered to me originally was not time effective for me as it would mean travelling to London 6-8 times to have it, so Consultant offered me the Secca procedure.

Has anyone had this procedure or any other treatment to help with leaking? The Secca procedure sounds grim but then so is leaking throughout the day.

Thanks in advance

nibblingfingernails Sun 14-Feb-16 20:50:34

Anyone?

nibblingfingernails Mon 15-Feb-16 10:25:40

bump

flamingnoravera Thu 18-Feb-16 22:33:34

I am afraid i don't have any answers but just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I was hoping there might be more responses for you.

What does the suggested approach involve?

flamingnoravera Thu 18-Feb-16 22:43:18

I just read about secca and can totally understand why you are a bit reticent. I suppose you have to weigh up which is worse? Not having the treatment or having it. If it were me I think I would be willing to try but would, like you want to talk to someone who has had it done first.
I would need a general anaesthetic too, I cannot cope with even the most minor of procedures without panic.

RedOnHerHedd Thu 18-Feb-16 22:44:04

Sorry I don't have any ideas either but hoping that by replying you will get others to see this.
Having just had a quick look at what the procedure is, I would definitely give it a try if it were me.
Good luck thanks

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 18-Feb-16 23:12:24

I haven't heard of this, but I do suffer with faecal urgency since childbirth (I've also had a rectocele repair but it didn't make any difference in that respect). Fortunately for me I have very regular habits and very rarely get the urge outside the home so it isn't an issue, but it is a bit close for comfort sometimes and if it got any worse I think I would consider this.

nibblingfingernails Fri 19-Feb-16 19:54:57

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I have a few weeks before I need to make any decisions, was hoping that someone would have a few suggestions.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 19-Feb-16 20:00:31

Could I suggest, that if you use FB, you look for a group called Pelvic Organ Prolapse Support (POPS). It is a large, closed group of women from all over the world whose lives are affected by exactly this sort of condition. There are healthcare professionals in the group too. They are a really lovely, caring, sharing bunch and you may well find people who have had the procedure there.

nibblingfingernails Fri 19-Feb-16 20:26:13

Thanks will take a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now