Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lost a hell of a lot of weight- why?!

(19 Posts)
Mumtotwo22 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:48:01

Hi all. I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place so apologies if I'm wrong. Before having my one year old I was a healthy weight for my height. I am still breastfeeding her. Since the second she was born my weight dramatically shed. It's now to the point where my face is skeletal looking and my whole body is so thin I look like I am anorexic. I have been to the doctor, I've had bloods, urine tests, ultrasounds etc and they can't find anything wrong with me. I eat like an absolute monster. And I don't want to come across as one of them people who say 'oh I'm too thin' when I'm not, because I really am ill looking, it's very unattractive and people are constantly commenting. I don't know if it's the breastfeeding. My doctor says no because I literally never stop eating and it's a good diet but with a lot of extra fatty/ sugary stuff too because of trying to put weight on. Nothing is working. My baby isn't feeding as much as she did when she was tiny. I'd say 3/4 times a day and some in the night. What's wrong with me? I'm very down about it, I feel unsexy and Insecure and so bloody cold all the time!! Any one got any ideas at all? Thanks.

StringTheory Sun 14-Feb-16 19:58:13

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? I developed an overactive thyroid after having my child and that can cause weight loss

Cuttheraisins Sun 14-Feb-16 20:11:22

I would go back to go, go through the blood tests you have done, make a list of the tests and results, have a list of symptoms (are you sleeping well? Do you ever get dizzy? Hair loss? Feeling thirsty all the time?) and bring an approximate chart of your weight loss in writing. Check thAt your thyroid functions have been checked on blood tests. Basically push for more tests. I am not sure about b feeding it did help me loose weight I think but I am sure it uses a lot of your fat reserves.

Cuttheraisins Sun 14-Feb-16 20:11:41

Back to GP!

Mumtotwo22 Sun 14-Feb-16 20:23:32

She did tests for thyroid, my vitamin levels, celiacs disease, iron, infections or inflammatory conditions etc. She was fairly thorough. But she didn't seem that bothered. My bmi is 17. I'm very underweight. You can literally see all my bones. I will go back, I will ring tomorrow morning. It's just such a nightmare. I thought she might recommend some dietary supplements or something. But nope. X

KP86 Sun 14-Feb-16 20:27:25

How about protein shakes to try to put some weight on?

I would also be looking for a better answer. Can you see another GP?

Mumtotwo22 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:03:53

Yeah I might give the protein a go. Will have to get a breastfeeding safe one. Yeah I'm going to another gp. Mine just seemed disinterested. Like it wasn't really a big deal and I should consider my self lucky for being able to eat what I like. It's not like that though, it's unhealthy. See my wrists below. confused

KP86 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:16:27

There are quite a few illnesses which can cause you to lose weight quickly. And they are scary ones. If I were you I would be getting more tests and not letting the GP fob me off.

What would she do if she was in the same situation? Or her DC?

Mumtotwo22 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:18:29

Exactly. I'm abit of a worrier and obviously this scares me. I breastfed my first DD til she was 2 and if anything I put weight on and was around a size 12. Before my 2nd DD I was a 10. Now I'm a size 6. I'm definitely going to go this week.

TooAswellAlso Sun 14-Feb-16 21:22:30

Thyroid or diabetes were the ones that sprung straight to mind. Hope you get some answers.

Basketofchocolate Sun 14-Feb-16 21:29:11

Most GPs don't do coeliacs test properly, so check that one. Otherwise yes, GP and persist.

Mumtotwo22 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:49:07

The thyroid was my first thought too but she said it was completely normal. Will update when I've been to gp. Probably in summer knowing how hard it is these days to see someone grin

Curlywurly4 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:53:57

Do you have any other symptoms? Any aches, niggles, ailments?

FWIW my coeliac bloods have always been negative, I was diagnosed via endoscopy by chance. Only other symptom was long standing indigestion. Definitely go back and see a different GP.

peggyundercrackers Sun 14-Feb-16 22:32:55

I would be a bit wary if weight was dropping off quickly. To be fair your wrists don't seem thin in the pics but if you can see bone I would be wanting the doc to do some more thorough tests.

NK5BM3 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:43:56

You need to push for answers or see another dr. We had to push for my son. The GP said the bloods were fine. The consultant ordered further scans. Only difference is we had a consultant already (for a previous issue) so could go to her instead.

Good luck.

Mumtotwo22 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:11:12

Hi everyone just to let you know I'm ringing the doctors today. I think I'm depressed to be honest, in fact I'm pretty sure. The weight thing isn't helping. I think it's a vicious circle. Will let you know what doc says. Thanks all

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 12:11:59

Good luck mumtotwo thanks

Firstmum24 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:16:18

mumtotwo22 Sorry to hear about your dramatic weight loss, these things can be very disheartening especially when trying to BF.
I didn't have same experience but MY mother was a whaif after having my elder sister and myself two years apart. She was always very slim before her pregnancies however after having me (dd2) and BF she was skeletal. Please remember it takes a womans body at least a year to get back to her healthy self. Some women retain weight and others lose.
I agree with everyone else, go bad to you GP and don't leave until something is sorted.
hugs

Mumtotwo22 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:46:18

Thanks everyone, my DD is 15 months now and is eating a heck of a lot of food so we're not bfeeding as often now. So if it was that I'd expect to be starting to put weight back on by now considering how much I eat I should be at least normal weight of not bigger. I'm a push over and don't always stand up for myself but this is wrecking my life and self esteem so I'm not leaving until they do something and take me seriously! Thanks again.
Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now