Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

difference between tonsil stones and tonsillitis

(23 Posts)
Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 10:10:23

Does anyone know the difference? Iv got disgusting pictures if needs be confusedconfused

Been diagnosed with tonsillitis yesterday but after taking pics it looks like tonsil stones, then I read on Google they have to be removed. Doc didn't get a proper look as I kept gagging when he put he stick in my mouth. Sorry very TMI.

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 10:59:11

No one ? In incredible pain here sad

OreosOreosOreos Sat 13-Feb-16 12:20:10

In the absence of anyone else I'd say if you're in pain then tonsillitis is more likely -I've had loads of tonsil stones and they don't usually hurt, sometimes they're just annoying depending on where they are!

Arfarfanarf Sat 13-Feb-16 12:27:24

Tonsillitis is infection and tonsil stones are big old yellowy bits of stuff that smell, literally, like shit.
My eldest just had his tonsils out last week for tonsiliths

Arfarfanarf Sat 13-Feb-16 12:28:22

I know its gross but if you post the pic i can tell you whether it looks like my son's did or not.

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 13:04:47

Agh I see there more white mine. The yellow tounge is absolutely disgusting but apparently it's bacteria and 'normal' with an infection. It's knocking me sick and keep heaving when I brush it!

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 13:05:55

That was yester day and this was the day before

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 13:06:41

Honest to god I'm tryna brush away that yellow, it's making me have shit breathe and not taste my food confused

YokoUhOh Sat 13-Feb-16 13:11:14

Those are tonsil stones - tonsillitis is actually 'on' your tonsils (I've got it at the mo, could do a pic for you).

Your GP probs hasn't heard of tonsil stones. I get rid of mine by pushing my finger along by the back of my mouth - by my wisdom teeth - it's not too boak-y and dislodges them.

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 13:16:41

Ooh yak that sounds horrible. I can't even swallow tablets never mind get my finger past my front teeth! Suppose I'll have a go later though thank you. Go on I'll see the pic if you don't mind?

dancemom Sat 13-Feb-16 13:17:06

Id say that's tonsillitis, patches of infection in your tonsils rather than solid stones in pits on your tonsils.

Frusso Sat 13-Feb-16 13:18:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 13:18:23

It says online u can have them both at the same time, I was telling my mother in law about tonsil stones she thought I was joking never heard of them either. Is it worth going back to docs then or not bother? Iv got anti biotics anyway and a spray that numbs my throat for the pain.

Arfarfanarf Sat 13-Feb-16 13:22:10

Its hard to tell because its not in sharp focus but it looks more like tonsillitis to me. My sons tonsil stones were more solid looking whereas that looks like a froth or coating.

One way to tell would be to press. If a lump comes out and smell like poo,its a tonsil stone.

VulcanWoman Sat 13-Feb-16 13:29:24

Your tongue looks very furry too. Hope you feel better soon.

YokoUhOh Sat 13-Feb-16 13:31:17

It's 100% tonsil stones. Just tried to get a pic of my tonsillitis but it's impossible!

The difference:

Tonsil stones are in 'crypts'/holes around tonsils - like yours are. They are generally big.

Tonsillitis is 'on' the tonsils in small white spots.

I'll try again with the pic.

YokoUhOh Sat 13-Feb-16 13:33:22

But the yellow tongue points to tonsillitis - so it looks like you could have both. When you feel up to it, you can have a go at getting them out the way I explained.

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 13:55:22

It's tonsillitis. You have seen a real life doctor who absolutely would know the difference.

Step away from doctor google!

Yes you can have both at the same time but FGS stop poking those white bits with a stick, you'll only make yourself worse.

Tonsillitis is you feeling generally unwell, having a sore throat, big red tonsils and white/yellow patches on your tonsils. Your history and photos fit with this and also the real life qualified doctor who has seen you in person (which none of us randoms has done) thought this too.

After you have had tonsillitis sometimes your tonsils remain big and have crypts in them where gunk collects. This gunk is called tonsil stones and the are fun if you like that sort of thing videos of people poking the stones out on t'internet. Note these are fully well people who don't feel like shit and have raging sore throats.

Obvs you could have tonsillitis and a tonsil stone happily sitting in your tonsil at the same time. But if you don't have a history of chronic tonsillitis then this is highly unlikely.

But please stop trying to brush the white bits off your tonsils. It will go naturally as you get better.

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 22:41:56

My tonsils right now, pain seems to be settling. I don't think I could cope puttin my fingers back there anyway I'm cringing at the thought but thank you for the tip if they get that bad I will try. Just thought I'd upload a clearer picture for the debate.

Wolp - dr Google is my drug, I try and stay away but he always gets the best of me! The reason I posted was like I said besides my symptoms the doc couldn't get a look in really, everytime he tried I gagged. Was just posting for opinions but thank you for your advise it had helped smile

Chloenewoneagain Sat 13-Feb-16 22:43:00

Oh and I'll just say I wasn't trying to brush the white bits off my tonsils I was trying to brush the yellow off my tounge its knocking me sick confused and looks disgusting and unhygienic.

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 23:03:46

OK - the yellow off your tongue is more understandable smile

Now you can open your mouth better it is also worth getting a real life person (doctor or pharmacist) to look at it because it might be thrush you have over your tongue. It doesn't look quite right for thrush (too yellow, not round the rest of your mouth) but it's hard to tell from your photo. If it is thrush you'll need a prescription to get rid of that too.

If it isn't thrush and just a pile of gunk on your tongue get some of the fizzy Vitamin C tablets and let a quarter of a tablet fizz and dissolve on your tongue 4 times a day. The fizzing will help shift all the coating off your tongue. If your throat isn't too sore pineapple juice will help too.

Bambooshoots14 Sat 13-Feb-16 23:08:30

I've had tonsillitis loads and my tongue has never looked like that. I'd go to a pharmacist

But yes tonsils look like tonsillitis to me

Haudyerwheesht Sat 13-Feb-16 23:09:53

99% sure that's tonsillitis with a yeast infection on your tongue.

I've had tonsillitis approximately 3 million times and that's exactly what it looks like - White pus.

I have it just now with sinusitis and an ear infection and am varying between being scared I might die and scared I might not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now