Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Beyond irritable guts. Help!

(21 Posts)
HookedOnHooking Fri 12-Feb-16 11:07:12

I am not the poo troll

Having just shat myself for the second time this week I think it may be time to ask for help.

A few years ago I worked out that I was very sensitive to beead/wheat so gave that up and was ok for a while (coeliac blood test was negative). I've eaten GF for a couple of years.
I appear to be getting more sensitive to other stuff now. Not sure what though. Maybe dairy - when over indulged on cheese, so have cut down but no obvious change in guts.
I also work shifts days/nights that bugger up my guts further. Terrible wind, bloating and constipation followed by looseness.

I'll do a diary for the next few weeks but any other ideas?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 12-Feb-16 11:31:55

Did you reduce your wheat intake before you did the coeliac blood test?

HookedOnHooking Fri 12-Feb-16 12:03:47

A bit as had worked out that it was bread that made me shit myself. Once that was obvious it wasn't really possible to carry on. I know that means it maybe skewed the result but no idea what to do about it.

HookedOnHooking Fri 12-Feb-16 12:04:38

Guts very unhappy today. I ate yeast flakes yesterday. Thats new for me so maybe it was that.

PoshPenny Fri 12-Feb-16 17:39:17

Something in milk (even lactofree milk) set me off, then there were random ones I couldn't pinpoint. I think was down to low stomach acid due to hypothyroidism (but NHS wouldn't diagnose me, I had to go private). Certainly much much less of a problem now I take thyroid medication.

Minime85 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:56:21

Maybe you need a good probiotic? Not one in a yogurt but pure. I used to take symprove. It worked and re balanced me and I don't need to take it now. I don't do wheat either and haven't for about 15 years. I can't do fizzy, oranges, coffee or too much cheese as you say. Mine is getting more and more. I find as long as I have things in small quantities I am better. Maybe worth a food intolerance test? Have you tried alternative therapies like acupuncture? X

HookedOnHooking Sat 13-Feb-16 06:04:54

Terrible gut pain. Bastard night shifts. I am not happy and neither is my bowel.

marriednotdead Sat 13-Feb-16 06:19:02

Really recommend the low FODMAP diet. In simplest terms, it rates everything by how much it ferments in your gut. I gave up yeast and then lactose initially. Had less issues and gradually worked out triggers. By the time I'd discovered the diet, I was more or less eating that way anyway. It's a pretty radical lifestyle change but I wouldn't go back.
I used to wake up writhing in pain every day before the bathroom dash so I totally sympathise.

useful link

Trumpton Sat 13-Feb-16 06:33:33

married your link does not work. Can you re link please . It sounds as if I should be looking at this. < farts gently>

HookedOnHooking Sat 13-Feb-16 06:35:54

I've been pondering low fodmap for a while. Might bite the bullet and give it a go.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 13-Feb-16 07:09:00

Onions are another culprit for me as well as bread and eating more than a small amount of fatty food.
I think the main culprit is stress....

marriednotdead Sat 13-Feb-16 22:23:23

Oops sorry, try this

Trumpton Sun 14-Feb-16 05:53:01

Thank you very much. But no onions ? That's going to be hard ! And no mushrooms ? Reading the list makes me realise I am going to have to make some changes ! Ah well, worth trying !

Annecyinyourpantsy Sun 14-Feb-16 06:52:37

When you first think about doing low fodmap it does seem crazy the amount of things restricted however it's worth remembering this isn't forever. Elimination lasts for about 6-8 weeks then you start reintroducing foods to try and find out your triggers. I highly recommend downloading the monash university app as it is a wealth of info and thr institute that carried out all the research.

AnnaT45 Sun 14-Feb-16 06:54:17

Bless you! It's horrible. FODMAP is excellent. My BIL had an awful time with his and I suggested it. Within a month he was much better and a year on its all gone. He's lost weight and feels amazing. He also works crazy hours and in catering so I think that doesn't help!
You can of course go to dr but they're a bit crap I found with my IBS and it manage it through diet. Good luck, I truly feel your pain

Annecyinyourpantsy Sun 14-Feb-16 06:54:38

Forgot to add... I thought farting constantly and having intense pain before going to loo etc was just how i was built. After following fodmap i now know it's not!

Oreganoooo Sun 14-Feb-16 06:56:00

Have you looked into a grain-free and legume free diet? Your OP said you were already gluten free so have you been eating a lot of gluten free carbs and beans?

From what I've read it sounds like these can also cause problems for people with IBS and sensitive bowels.

Following a Paleo or SCD diet for a while might help you. There are tons of free resources online (Against All Grain, Robb Wolf, Whole30).

Also worth a trip to the docs? Sorry to hear you have been suffering incontinence. I'm not a doctor or anything but that sounds like your bowel is quite distressed.

An elimination diet would definitely be my next step.

Grains, sugar, legumes, dairy and high FODMAP foods could all be causing problems. Eggs can also be a culprit for people who are sensitive. The Paleo Mom has an extensive list of "Gluten cross-reactive" foods on her blog which according to her own research have been shown to 'mimic' the effects of gluten in the body.

I hope you get some answers soon. I've been struggling with health problems too. Diet seems to be the key for a lot of people.

HookedOnHooking Sun 14-Feb-16 07:15:56

Just about finished with this set of nights do hopefully will settle down again soon.
I'm looking at FODMAP. Need to get on and do it but it looks so hard!

marriednotdead Sun 14-Feb-16 10:18:15

Although low fodmap helps me massively, my own diet is even more restricted than that because some foods that should theoretically be OK are still a problem for me. I also have an egg white and lactose intolerance plus an allergy to some chillies!

Here's my average diet when I'm at work/in a routine

Breakfast
Gluten free cornflakes with added mixed seeds, flaked almonds, sugar, lactose free milk

Lunch
Salad- tomato cucumber lettuce beetroot prawns free from mayo
Crisps
Alpro soya yoghurt with a kiwi and/or a clemintine plus 100g
blueberries

Dinner
Chicken/beef/mince with rice/potato/GF pasta and peas/sweetcorn/carrots/courgette or salad

Snacks
Satsuma
Brazil nuts
Banana
GF Bakewell tart or homemade GF cupcake/brownies
Soya caramel dessert
Small amounts of cheese
Eat Natural protein bar
A couple of squares of 70% dark chocolate

Drinks
Water
Very occasional fruit juice or soft drink, not ones with artificial sweetners, has to be the full sugar variety
Cawston Press Apple and Rhubarb drink

Daily multivitamin with minerals (no iron)
Vitamin B complex

It takes some adjusting but I'd never go back.

Eating out is usually ok and as long as there's steak on the menu, I know I won't struggle grin

paap1975 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:12:14

I had a kind of IBS with diarrhoea (several accidents, was taking 20+ imodium per week, just to be able to work). After lots of investigations (reducing wheat helped, but only temporarily), was prescribed a bile acid sequestrant, which was like a miracle cure. I've never looked back

Zadocthepriest Fri 18-Mar-16 13:22:58

Another vote for FODMAP here. I have a different problem ,,(ileostomy) but husband and child have ?IBS.

Not being a true allergy, just annoying or embarrassing, we don't follow it rigidly, but have swapped to lactose free (easy) and dramatically changed our fruit and vegetables list. No onions is a nightmare as they are in ALL ready meals, but otherwise quite manageable.

Also fructose, in loads of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now