Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tonsilitis

(2 Posts)
HitShappens Fri 12-Feb-16 09:40:51

Last Sunday I started with a sore throat and cold like symptoms which then progessed onto a temperature and feeling like im swallowing razor blades.

So far have been managing the pain rotating paracetamol and ibuprofen but its not touching it any more, i cant eat or drink and my ears are really throbbing. Just by looking in the mirror i can see my tonsils are red with 4 or 5 white spots but i was wondering if the doctor would prescribe anti biotics or am i best just waiting and riding this one out?

iwillbemrsminty Fri 12-Feb-16 10:04:11

GP would have to determine if it was viral or bacterial tonsillitis, as I am sure you know they wont work on viral. I've had severe tonsillitis more than once and it was just agony. Couldn't even swallow my saliva. Horrendous! I did get strong antibiotics which once kicked in, made me feel lots better. I would get an appointment and see the GP, then one way or another you will know. In the meantime, how about sucking on ice cubes, they kind of just trickle down your throat, you can make flavoured ones if plain is too boring. Not much help, but I feel your pain and hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now