Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urine in blood

(8 Posts)
Dippytart Thu 11-Feb-16 21:21:20

Have only been a Mumsnet reader before for various topics but have now registered.
About a month ago I had a UTI with visible bleeding which was very alarming. Had one lot of antibiotics which worked for a day or so but it came back slightly worse. Prescribed a different batch of antibiotics and referred for an ultrasound scan. The infection seemed to clear but the U/S showed up an ovarian cyst. I was given another GP appt and he only wanted to talk about the UTI, didn't even realise an ovarian cyst had been found, he is going to look into that. With regards to the UTI, he asked if it had all cleared up, and I replied it had. He then asked me to do a sample which I did and to my horror it showed up non-visible blood. He is now going to refer me to a consultant which will probably result in a cystoscopy - obviously I am now terrified and that is without the ovarian cyst. I was so convinced that everything had been sorted by the second round of antibiotics that this has really shocked and scared me. Does anyone have any similar experiences to share?

Dippytart Thu 11-Feb-16 21:29:36

Sorry - title should have been Blood in Urine!

nmg85 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:33:32

I have microscopic blood in my urine and I have the bladder condition IC. Any kind of inflammation can cause blood in urine, getting referred to a urologist is a good start but try not to worry they are all just routine procedures that everyone with those symptoms would go through.

Dippytart Fri 12-Feb-16 18:56:38

Thank you for that. I keep flitting from being completely rational to completely petrified. I now have an appt for the cystoscopy (next Thurs) so whilst alarmed that it seems to be so quick, but don't want it hanging over me for ages.

nmg85 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:19:20

Do you know if you are having it under local or general?

PollyPerky Fri 12-Feb-16 19:35:49

TBH although your GP is doing the right thing - technically- he's a bit trigger happy! having an ultrasound after 1 infection seems really OTT- is this a very young GP?

Urine in blood- microscopic- so soon after an infection is not unusual. the bladder wall and the urethra can take a hammering with an infection and it may take a while for them to fully heal.

Unless you are at high risk for bladder cancer ( elderly, smoker, exposed to certain chemicals over a lifetime, etc) then the odds are tiny that you have anything wrong.

Re, your ovarian cyst- these are hugely common, usually go away themselves, women often have them and never know unless they have scan for something else.

You are probably fine!

PollyPerky Sat 13-Feb-16 07:20:43

You don't have to consent to anything, you know. You can refuse an investigation unless the consultant has really pressing evidence you need one. Your body.

TBH I really don't understand why your GP referred you for an U/S after you needed a 2nd course of ABs- sorry to repeat what I said- but it's really odd! if all GPs did that, the service couldn't cope! it's absolutely normal to need another course of ABs especially if the first one wasn't targeted at the bacteria and a broad spectrum one. (Did your first sample show the type of bacteria?)

I can only assume your GP is very inexperienced re. this type of thing because the whole thing seems an over reaction.

Women I've known who have had investigations have usually had repeated infections over many months or years and are suffering with symptoms and then they usually have to beg for a referral!

Dippytart Sat 13-Feb-16 16:36:08

I am having the cystoscopy under a local. Maybe I should think that I am lucky that I have a doctor who appears to be so thorough then? I am not sure what my samples have shown up. After my first visit to the Docs, I thought the ABs would clear it all up and that would be that. I will have the procedure as if I don't I will worry that I have denied them the opportunity of finding something (not that I want anything to be found).

Glad to hear that microscopic blood in urine isn't so unusual. Thinking back, the doctor did say that many people never find out why they have blood present in their urine but my mind had already gone into panic mode by the time he said that to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now