Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think i have hypothyroidism, blood tests dont agree.

(8 Posts)
AdriftOnMemoryBliss Tue 09-Feb-16 21:13:15

Are the drs missing something?

I have to be tested every 2 years as both my mother and her mom developed it in their late 30s, i'm currently coming up to 35.

i have most, if not all of the symptoms
weight gain
insomnia
joint pain
brittle hair and nails
loss of sex drive
gritty eyes
migraines
episodes of breathlessness/palpitations
anxiety
puffy hands

every time i get tested they say its coming back normal, but i think they're either borderline or they're not testing something and missing something.

Can anyone talk me through what i should be asking for?

GrinAndTonic Tue 09-Feb-16 21:16:01

I have every symptom as well yet my blood tests say I'm fine.
I'm at a loss too.

VimFuego101 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:23:39

What did they actually test? Tsh only? Your tsh can be normal but still have a thyroid issue. There's a really useful FB page called 'stop the thyroid madness' which explains things well (I'm still learning) and what tests you need to ask for.

Also, did they check your vitamin D/b12 at the same time? those can also cause your symptoms.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 09-Feb-16 21:26:11

Do you have your exact results?

It's possible that your borderline, or not within NHS treatment ranges. It's also possible that it's something else, or a combination of things. Hypothyroidism shares symptoms with lots of other conditions.

First thing would be to get your results, though.

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Tue 09-Feb-16 21:26:27

Vim, all i know is the blood test form asks for a thyroid function check, and when i ring up for the results i'm told its all normal.

i haven't actually ever got to sit down and talk through them with the dr.

StarTravels Tue 09-Feb-16 23:55:05

Ask for a print out of your results including the ranges and post them in this thread and people will help.

Clarella Sat 13-Feb-16 15:13:49

Yes ask for results.

Are you constipated?

Titsywoo Sat 13-Feb-16 15:20:44

I have the same thing but also clear blood tests - maybe the limit is set too high? I might ask for my results actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now