Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cerelle Mini Pill - Breakthrough Bleeding

(6 Posts)
biscuitkumquat Tue 09-Feb-16 09:45:14

Over the last 2/3 weeks, I've experienced breakthrough bleeding, it's now daily (and is quite dirty, if that makes sense?)

I've been on the Cerelle Mini Pill for around 4 years, and never had any problems at all.

I have noticed though, that I am also getting lots of spots around my mouth, and I'm thinking that they may be hormonal, and linked in some way.

I'm 45, and I've tried to get an appointment with my GP, but the earliest appointment is 10 days away!

I was thinking it may be menopause related, but thought best to stop taking the Cerelle until I know what's up.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

nmg85 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:10:30

I was transferred to cerelle from Cerazette about 9 months ago. Just recently I have also had spotting which I have never had before in the 10 years I have taken the Mini Pill. I am not much help but I am also thinking about going to the GP although my app is 2 weeks away. From a quick google it seems common.

biscuitkumquat Tue 09-Feb-16 14:25:00

I've managed to get a "phone appointment" (who knew such a thing existed) with my GP on Thursday, so I'll report back.

AJD1971 Wed 10-Feb-16 12:39:34

I have experienced exactly the same. Age 45 been on cerelle for 5 years with no bleeding and last two weeks started bleeding. Am interested in how you get on with your telephone appointment tomorrow.

Sidge Wed 10-Feb-16 12:48:31

Breakthrough bleeding isn't uncommon on progesterone only pills like Cerelle/Cerazette. If it looks like dirty brown blood it's old blood, and could be just some shedding of the womb lining that has built up and now is coming away in small amounts. This can happen from time to time especially if you don't usually have a period on your pill. It is also more common where you've had a missed pill or two, or been late with your pill.

It's not an emergency and you shouldn't stop your pill - it could increase the likelihood of more irregular bleeding. It is sensible to see your GP in due course and get examined, especially if the blood is red or happens after sex, or you have concerns that you might have an STI. Otherwise you may find they just advise you to keep taking the pill and see if it settles.

biscuitkumquat Thu 11-Feb-16 17:29:56

Spoke to the Dr today, and she said as Sidge said that breakthrough bleeding isn't uncommon, but that I may either have an infection, or my hormones are maybe starting to change.

I don't have an infection (no tell tale signs), and definitely don't have an STI, so she said I had the following options:

Keep on with the pill & see if it just sorts itself out.
Come off the pill & have a coil fitted instead.
Come off the pill & just use condoms instead.

I'm leaning towards the copper coil, but will read up over the weekend, and call back on Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now