Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Separated stomach muscles and curved spine?

(6 Posts)
Stoodonlegoagain Sun 07-Feb-16 12:56:13

Wasn't really sure where to post this hoping I can get some replies here!
DD is 18 mo now and since her birth ( emergency c section) I've had terrible back ache, been at the Drs several times for Muscle spasms, finally got referred to physio (after a year of begging) who says my stomach muscles are severally separated and now I have a curved spine that also leans to the right because of it. Said this is causing all the neck/shoulder/back pain and the constant spasms.
He gave me some exercises to do but it's months on and nothing seems to be working.
Sometimes I can be in so much pain I can barely get up, just bending over to pick DD up can send me into floods of tears!

does anyone have any experience in this? Any tips? Or even experience of what happens if this doesn't work? Am I just going to have to stay like this forever?

any help would be really appriciated, thank you smile

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 13:02:15

You could be me!
After my first child my muscles split and didn't knit. I had physio after my second. I had a curved (not in a good way) spine anyway.
If you have been doing the exercises for months then I think back to the GP. See physio again?
I ended up having injections in my spine.
I also find exercise key. If I go to the gym three times a week then I'm fine. If I don't then I hurt.

ilovesthediff Sun 07-Feb-16 13:04:20

Snap. Normal for them not to fuse back. Try googling APPI DVD for Pilates lower back pain? That's what my physio recommended.

MatildaTheCat Sun 07-Feb-16 13:13:33

I'm a big fan of Pilates for back pain but do make sure you have a good instructor and a very small group or one to one if you have a problem like this. I'm also a fan of Alexander Technique which is all about losing unnecessary tension from the body and is amazing for neck and upper back pain but almost anything.

If you have a look at the back pain support thread there is lots of info and in the OP there is a link to an AT guided rest exercise which is all about allowing the spine to fall into the correct position. It works and is very relaxing but requires discipline to do regularly even if it is just a lie down on the floor. smile

Stoodonlegoagain Sun 07-Feb-16 17:43:03

Thank you all, will look into Pilates dvd as won't be able to join a class. Just hoping something works, feel like the worst mother on days where it hurts so bad I can't move properly sad

I have been back to the physio who just says to persist with exercises (although he knows nothing is changing) gp just tells me to go back to physio.

I didn't know you could get spinal injection so that's interesting.

Thanks everyone who took tee time to answer

Clarella Sun 07-Feb-16 20:33:12

I'm sorry you're in so much pain it must be hard.

Just an extra possible avenue of support - katy bowman of katysays (blog, books, downloadable videos) has recently published a book specifically for your issue. It might give some extra ideas for exercises though do follow up the advice above.thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now