Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Perimenopause, joint pain

(6 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Sun 07-Feb-16 08:05:34

Recently had blood tests confirming I'm perimenopausal age 41, LH and FSH sky high...
Had bad palpitations and anxiety. So far I haven't had any HRT.

But last week I started getting severe pain in shoulder, knees and wrist. Went back to GP who took a blood test for arthritis and a few other things. It was all clear.

I asked if the joint pains could be to do with the perimenopause and she said no, there was no connection between joint pain and hormones.
I was like hmm are you sure? As I have read in a few places that it's a symptom... But no, she said it wasn't the case.

I'm left with no diagnosis. In loads of pain, it all started while I was having an incredibly heavy period that just wiped me out completely, falling asleep during the day and just feeling soooo tired.

I'm feeling pretty fed up, if the GP won't even recognise it may be hormonal, not sure where to go from here... I feel like I'm stuck in a nightmare.

Also, having real problems remembering words and getting stuck mid sentence. Bursting into tears/panic attacks etc.

REeally hoping to get any advice. I had 2 days off work last week, and can't really take any more time off, feel very unhappy and worried about the future. Also posted in menopause section, but posting here too in hope of anyone knowing what I should do.

ihateminecraft Sun 07-Feb-16 08:50:27

If you are having heavy periods it could be low iron/anaemia. I suspect I'm perimenopause but haven't had any tests. I do, however, have low iron due to heavy periods. I am also having stiff, aching joints. For me, it feels like when you've done too much exercise and is worse when I first get up or have been sitting for a while. It tends to ease off as I move around. I also have restless leg syndrome. I've been on iron tablets for a couple of weeks and I think there may be a small improvement. I'd also heard that these symptoms were a sign of perimenopause but they are also symptoms of low iron. I assumed that with me it was one or the other, or both! Will be interested in your replies.......

PollyPerky Sun 07-Feb-16 09:12:48

I have replied under the Menopause section for you but this is from the NICE guidelines

1.3.2 Explain to women that as well as a change in their menstrual cycle they may experience a variety of symptoms associated with menopause, including:

vasomotor symptoms (for example, hot flushes and sweats)

musculoskeletal symptoms (for example, joint and muscle pain)

effects on mood (for example, low mood)

urogenital symptoms (for example, vaginal dryness)

sexual difficulties (for example, low sexual desire).

FrameyMcFrame Sun 07-Feb-16 09:43:00

Thanks Polly, got your response on the other thread and have printed out the guidelinrs.
Thanks ihateminecraft, I will ask GP about low iron but dont think I could have that as I've had full blood count and thyroid function etc and the only thing that came up was the hormone abnormalities, all the rest of my results were as normal.
Many thanks.

Millionairerow Mon 08-Feb-16 00:16:35

I am Defo preomenopaausal. Had IVF so know my levels of FSH between 36 and. 38. Went from 6 to 18. I was thinking tonight my hip is v sore. My mum has rheumatoid arthritis but she finished her periods at 46. I am 45 this month so wondering the same thing ....

Theendispie Mon 08-Feb-16 00:28:01

My osteopath says lots of women suffer joint and muscle pain when perimenopausal, symptoms subside once actual menopause has passed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now