Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy flooding periods and tranexamic acid

(9 Posts)
NapoleonsNose Sat 06-Feb-16 19:32:37

Hoping some others have had experience of either of the above. My period has been really weird this month. Firstly I had minor spotting for a week and I didn't think I was ever going to come on. Finally, a week ago it arrived but the last three days have been horrendous. I usually have heavy periods - super plus extra tampons for the first couple of days and occasional leakage at night. This month though I am having to double up on protection. I've flooded the bed two nights out of three and I'm fed right up. After googling and reading up, I bought some tranexamic acid from Boots today in the hope that it might help a bit. Weirdly, my usually painful periods have been relatively pain free this month too. What is going on with my body. I'm 43 and wondering if I'm in the perimenopause.

LavenderRain Sat 06-Feb-16 19:46:06

I suffered with very heavy periods and flooding, clots etc about 4 years ago. I was 45. So much so that I became anaemic.
The GP prescribed tranexamic acid which halved the bleeding. I then had a mirena coil fitted which took 6 months to settle down (spotting) but I've had no periods, absolutely zilch smile for the last 3 years.
Could well be perimenopause thanks

NapoleonsNose Sat 06-Feb-16 19:49:37

Think I might pay a visit to my GP next week. I'm a bit Dr-phobic though having had a bad experience a few years ago, but I'm fed up with these progressively heavier periods so think I need to woman-up and go.

cansu Sat 06-Feb-16 19:53:02

I have found ibuprofen v good in reducing flow. I am peri menopausal and was regularly flooding. Ibuprofen has helped massively.

aginghippy Sat 06-Feb-16 19:55:47

I had similar and also became anaemic. Tranexamic acid worked for me. Certainly worth giving it a try.

If it doesn't do the trick, go to the GP as there are other medicines you could try. Or, as Lavender says, the mirena coil might be a possibility.

Carbsnomore Sat 06-Feb-16 19:57:52

Tranexamic reduces flow even in really small doses...I took it for mild hyper pigmentation and my period stopped until I stopped taking it, then v light for next month until back to normal. Definitely worth a try.

ArabellaRockerfella Sat 06-Feb-16 22:31:16

It didn't work for me. I had to have an endometrial ablation but haven't looked back. Well worth it. The anaemia got debilitating.

redannie118 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:20:23

Didnt work for me either but I went on the mini pill (cerezette) and havent had a period for over a year. I can honestly say it changed my life as the pain and bleeding was so bad I was literally out of action for 1 week per month

uggmum Mon 08-Feb-16 10:29:29

I've been through the same thing. I really suffered for months. At times I could barely go out. The tranexamic did help. But my periods were getting closer together and were affecting my daily life. I also suffered with pain.
I looked at my options. I considered ablation and I haven't ruled it out. But I decided on a mirena coil first.
I've had it since November and so far it's been effective.
I've had 2 very light periods since. I only needed a panty liner. I had no pain or discomfort and my mood has improved.
I have agreed with my doctor that I will try it for 6 months and if I'm not happy I'll have the ablation instead. But so far, so good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now